Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
An easy, gluten-free, make-ahead Mexican cornbread casserole recipe that makes the perfect side for your holiday table. It's mildly spicy and quite festive!
Are you ready for the holidays? Since holiday meals take a bit of planning, having a few dishes that you can easily whip up (and even make ahead) is a must! It avoids stress, while saving you time in the kitchen.
Our Mexican Cornbread Casserole is full of flavor and pairs well with a brined turkey and other holiday sides.
Try it and come back to give feedback!
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
First, preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a medium baking dish with either butter or cooking spray. Reserve!
Then, heat a large no stick skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno for about 5 minutes or until fragant. Turn off heat and mix in corn, herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside!
Next, whisk eggs in a large bowl just until combined. Mix in 4 tablespoons melted butter, 3 cups water, Better Than Bouillon, and taco seasoning until homogeneous.
Place cubed cornbread and stale bread into the egg/liquid mixture and mix in cooked veggies as well.
Gently transfer mixture to the greased dish and bake for about 45-55 minutes or until bread is golden and center is set.
Let cool a little and serve cornbread dressing warm with sliced jalapenos on top. Enjoy!
ABOUT BETTER THAN BOUILLON
Forget about large, heavy cartons of broth!
Better Than Bouillon is a paste concentrate that comes conveniently packed in a small jar and is equivalent to a bouillon cube or broth. Just refrigerate after opening and use when needed.
It adds great flavor to everyday meals as well as your favorite holiday dishes, taking cooking to the next level.
In case you didn't know, it comes in a wide variety of bases suiting different needs-- such as Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base, Better Than Bouillon Roasted Turkey Base and Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base, among others.
Use them to make anything, all the way from marinades and glazes to appetizers, main dishes, or side dishes. They will save you time, while still adding that "cooked all day" flavor that everyone enjoys.
I used the Better Thank Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base to make this easy cornbread casserole vegetarian dish. But all the varieties are so versatile that any of them would go well in this dish.
For more info, and also to get easy and delish recipe ideas, visit the Better Than Bouillon Holiday Microsite after Nov. 25th.
CAN YOU MAKE CORNBREAD CASSEROLE RECIPE AHEAD?
Yes! Mix the cornbread with the stale bread and cooked veggies, cover, and store in the fridge the day before or overnight.
About 1 to 2 hours before serving, prepare the egg/liquid mixture and mix with the bread/veggie mixture. Bake and serve while warm!
You see.. easy peasy! That's the best way to avoid sogginess.
CORNBREAD DRESSING STORAGE
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze small amounts in freezer bags and thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave.
Make sure that both the cornbread and bread used in this dressing casserole are dry or stale in order to freeze leftovers.
PIN & ENJOY!
Mexican Cornbread Dressing Casserole Recipe
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter divided
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 2 jalapenos 1 chopped and 1 sliced
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn kernels
- 2 tablespoon green onion chopped (or chives)
- salt and pepper a pinch each
- 4 large eggs at room temp
- 2 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning optional
- 1 cornbread gluten-free and prepared according to the instructions on the package, or store-bought ready-made. In either case, cut into cubes
- 3 slices gluten-free white stale bread cut into cubes
- First, preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a medium baking dish with either butter or cooking spray. Reserve!
- Then, heat a large no stick skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook onion, bell pepper, and chopped jalapeno for about 5 minutes or until fragant. Turn off heat and mix in corn and green onion or chives. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside!
- Next, whisk eggs in a large bowl until just combined. Mix in 4 tablespoons melted butter, 3 cups water, Better Than Bouillon, and taco seasoning until homogeneous. Place cubed cornbread and stale bread into the egg/liquid mixture and then mix in the cooked veggies as well.
- Gently transfer mixture to the greased dish and bake for about 45-55 minutes or until bread is golden and center is set. Let cool a little, garnish with sliced jalapeno, and serve cornbread dressing warm. Enjoy!
- If you are not on a GF diet, you can use regular cornbread and white bread.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze small amounts in freezer bags and thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave. Make sure both cornbread and bread used in this dressing casserole are dry or stale in order to freeze leftovers.
- You are welcome to use any Better Than Bouillon base variety in this Mexican cornbread casserole.
- If you love spicy food, do not remove seeds from jalapenos.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.
Brenda Gonzalez says
You had me at gluten-free! Si amo la comida mejicana ahora me gusta más viendo qué hay opciones gluten free. Esta receta me gusta para servir en cualquier fiesta navideña. Gracias!
Denise Browning says
Great fpr those who cannot eat gluten -- as for everyone else. happy Thanksgiving!
Corn bread es perfecto para estos holidays! Los ingredientes son super delicious ! Me encanta que es gluten free! Gracias por esta receta mexicana !
Denise Browning says
Es verdade! Gracias!
Fabiola Acosta says
Esta receta de mexican corn bread me parece genial para estas fiestas que se avecinan. Gracias por compartirla.
OH MY GOD! I love the mexican food. his recipe really looks delicious, thanks for sharing, always a pleasure to see this type of food.
Denise Browning says
Thank you! It is an easya nd very flavorful dish!
Enriqueta E Lemoine says
This casserole looks so yummy. Everything with Better Than Bouillon tastes better!
Denise Browning says
It is true -- everything tastes ebtter with Better Than Bouillon! Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!
John / Kitchen Riffs says
We're fans of Better than Bouillon, too -- their quality is pretty good, and SO easy to use. Anyway, love cornbread, and this is a wonderful looking dish. Thanks!