Disclosure: This smoked salmon bites is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Cost Plus World Market and #WeAllGrow Latina Network. All opinions are mine alone. #GoalWorldMarket
Delicious 5-Ingredient, 10-Minute Smoked Salmon Pickled Red Onion Bites that require no cooking -- served with a Mango Vodka Cocktail Drink (Mango Caipiroska). Plus, fun and affordable entertaining ideas for the 2018 soccer games. It screams "GOAL!" from beginning to end!
Are you a soccer fan? Well, I am... and this year I am cheering for two teams: Brazil and the United States. How about you?
To celebrate big without breaking my pocketbook, I organized a fun soccer party. And a real standout among the food fare were these Smoked Salmon Pickled Red Onion Bites -- an appetizer that requires no cooking.
This is essentially an appetizer with American and Latin influences that even a child could put together in 10 minutes or less, with about 5 ingredients. I can see your huge smile!
This thing is DE-LI-CIOUS! It consists of crackers topped with creamy spreadable cheese, peppered smoked salmon, pickled red onions, olives and, if desired, chimichurri sauce.
Everything was conveniently purchased at a single store: the very international and inclusive Cost Plus World Market. World Market features food and wine from over 50 countries and also unique products for dining and entertaining, all at amazingly affordable prices every day. That's right!
All this makes Cost Plus World Market your one-stop shop for entertaining, decorating, and food/drink needs for this Summer of Soccer, at any budget.
But that's not all! I took advantage of the amazing assortment of products that the store has to offer and purchased other easy-to-put-together foods such as: 1) guacamole chips, 2) smoked sausage, 3) sweet and spicy nut mix, 4) jalapeno jack cheese, and 5) prosciutto to assemble a cheese and meat platter... plus 6) popcorn and 7) Tim Tam.
I also bought mango nectar juice and vodka to wash all the food down with a Mango Vodka Cocktail Drink (known in Brazil as Mango Caipiroska).
This made for a super-festive way to cheer on my two favorite soccer teams while celebrating this World event taking place in Russia.
Of course, I got some nice tableware to serve the food on, disposable plates, cups, and napkins, and also decorative items-- all color coordinated to match the colors of the teams I am cheering for: red/blue for the USA and green/yellow for Brazil. 😉
This turned out to be such a fun way to set the table, with the added perk of not having a sink full of dishes to clean up afterwards. Now that's what I call clever entertaining!
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SALMON PICKLED RED ONION BITES
Start by laying Entertainment Crackers on a plain surface. Combine room temperature creamy spreadable cheese and chopped pickled red onion; spread or pipe on top.
Then, place a piece of peppered smoked salmon and one olive on top.
If desired, drizzle on a bit of chimichurri sauce made from mixing chimichurri blend seasoning, olive oil, apple cider or red wine vinegar, and sugar.
Serve on a platter or a nice serving board.
All these food items and many more are available both in-store and online. Search a store near you here.
Products used in this smoked salmon bites recipe:
- Carr's Assorted Biscuits (Entertainment Crackers Collection)
- Laughing Cow Light Creamy Original Swiss Cheese, Set Of 6
- Pernicious Pickling Sweet N Sour Pickled Red Onions
- World Market® Pepper Smoked Alaskan Salmon
- Mille Lacs Spanish Manzanilla Olives
- World Market® Chimichurri Seasoning,optional
HOW TO MAKE MANGO VODKA COCKTAIL DRINK (MANGO CAIPIROSKA)
In a pitcher, combine 33.8 fl. oz Ceres Mango (100% Juice Blend) with ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons of Vodka. If desired, stir in 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Add 5 wedges of lime and ice cubes to the drink. Garnish disposable cups/glasses with slices of fresh mango if desired. Serves about 5-10 people.
For a virgin version, use (flavored) sparkling water instead of vodka.
The ingredients for this drink are available online and some can be found in-store -- amid a large selection of non-alcoholic beverages, beers, wines, champagnes, and other spirits.
Products used in this recipe:
- Ceres Mango Fruit Juice (bought individually or in a set of 12)
- Tito's Handmade Vodka or (flavored) sparkling water
AFFORDABLE TABLE DECORATION IDEAS
Cover the table with a disposable green tablecloth. Using white tape, tape off a rectangle divided in half in the center, just like a soccer field. Along the edges, left and right, tape off a small rectangle on each end to simulate the soccer net. Or simply use any tablecloth of your choice!
I placed the round white serving board that I bought at Cost Plus World Market in the center as if it were a soccer ball and served my Smoked Salmon Pickled Red Onion Bites on it.
In one side of the "soccer field" I displayed red/blue disposable plates and cups with some of the foods that I bought representing team USA. And on the other side, I displayed the green/yellow disposable plates and cups with the Mango Caipiroska representing Brazil.
I decorated each of the two sides with their respective flags and appropriately-colored confetti.
Everything can either be purchased in store or online.
Products used for serving and table decor:
- White Marble Lazy Susan
- World Market Disposable Dessert Plates, set of 8 ( Red and Blue/ Green and Yellow)
- World Market (Yellow and/or Red) Cups Set of 2
- World Market Paper Napkins (also for 4th of July) and also Yellow Napkins
- Red, White & Blue Star Confetti Popper (Twist & Pop), Seasonal Item Available In-Store Only
Shop smart, either online or at your local Cost Plus World Market Store (here is MINE), celebrate in grand style, and enjoy!
PIN & ENJOY!
5-Ingredient Smoked Salmon Pickled Red Onion Bites
For the Smoked Salmon Pickled Red Onion Bites:
- 10 round entertainment crackers
- 2 (6 oz) Laughing Cow Light Creamy Original Swiss Cheese (equivalent to 16 cheese wedges)
- ¼ cup chopped pickled red onions
- 10 small pieces smoked Alaskan salmon (skin removed)
- 10 Green olives
For the Chimichurri Sauce (OPTIONAL):
- 1 tablespoon Chimichurri blend seasoning, Optional
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Red wine or Apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Start by placing crackers on a plain surface.
- Mix room temperature creamy spreadable cheese with chopped pickled red onion in a small bowl. Spread or pipe on top of crackers.
- Then, place a small piece of peppered smoked salmon and one olive on top.
- If desired, drizzle on a bit of chimichurri sauce made by mixing chimichurri blend seasoning, olive oil, apple cider/red wine vinegar, and sugar.
- I used fresh thyme as a garnish (optional), Serve on a platter or nice serving board. Enjoy!
- This appetizer can be kept at room temperature for hours.
- Any cheese/pickled onion mixture leftover and also chimichurri sauce can be store in the refrigerator.
- Avoid storing arranged appetizer in the fridge; otherwise crackers will become soft.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.
So much summer in this post! The Chimichurri Sauce brings the pop of flavor in this lush appetizer!
Denise Browning says
Thanks Deb! It was quite quick to put together yet so tasty.
John / Kitchen Riffs says
Alaskan salmon is the best, isn't it? And this is such a great recipe to showcase its flavor! Food stuff -- thanks.
Denise Browning says
I am not a fan of fresh salmon but that specific smoked salmon i can eat... and repeat. First time i have not throwed up. Instead i enjoyed it.