I don’t know about you but I still feel overwhelmed by all the holiday food… and way exhausted after the whole cooking marathon that I have just been through. And yes, New Year’s resolutions are also on my plate! This tuna salad sandwich (or sanduíche natural de atum in Portuguese) will help us to put an end to the calorie spree and a stop to the cooking madness. It’s healthy, colorful, delicious, and can be prepared in only 10 minutes.
Believe it or not, all it takes is canned tuna, light mayo or plain yogurt, ketchup, seasonings, carrots, raisins, and herbs — no cooking at all is needed. Although preferred, radishes are one of the optional ingredients here!
Mix all the ingredients, spread it on your favorite bread, top with slices of watermelon radish, Easter egg radish, or any other type of your choice…
… and enjoy chilled. As with many Brazilian cold sandwiches, there can be variations in the type of meat and some of the vegetables that are used.
And don’t you worry! Our tuna salad sandwich can be easily transported to work/school and served for either lunch or dinner. Down home, we even eat them at snack time or as a quick, wholesome meal on the beach.
Not only that… They can be served as an open-face sandwich at a get-together, or if cut smaller, they make a great tea-time sandwich or party appetizer.
They are so popular that juice shops and healthy food chains carry large selections of them.
Forget the chips and soda… these are best eaten by themselves or accompanied by fresh juice or fruits. After all, resolutions are only any good when they are put into action. 😉
Exercise, sleep well, eat fresh and healthy, and stay focused!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Tuna Salad Sandwich (Sanduíche Natural de Atum)
- 12 oz chunk light tuna in water well-drained, 340 g
- ½ to ¾ cup light mayonnaise or Greek plain yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice optional
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup peeled shredded fresh carrots
- ¼ to ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 4-8 slices sourdough bread or any other hard crust bread of your choice depending if served as an open or closed sandwich., or 100% whole wheat bread if desired
- slices About 8 or more largewatermelon radish or other type of your choice optional
- In a medium bowl, mix well the drained tuna, the mayo or plain yogurt, ketchup, lemon juice, salt, pepper, carrots, raisins, and cilantro or parsley.
- If serving as an open-face sandwich, cover tuna mixture and refrigerate for at least 40 minutes. Distribute the tuna mixture on the top of 4 slices of bread. Place about 2 slices (or more) of watermelon radish per slice of bread. Sprinkle with extra chopped cilantro or parsley, and serve.
- If serving as a regular sandwich, after preparing the tuna mixture, distribute the tuna mixture on the top of 4 slices of bread. Place about 2 slices (or more) of watermelon radish per slice of bread. Top each with another slice of bread forming 4 sandwiches. Wrap each tuna salad sandwich with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 40 minutes. Serve and enjoy! It is great with fresh fruits and a chilled lemonade or other cold beverage. YIELD: 4 (if using sourdough) or 2 (if using a whole wheat bread b/c bread slice is larger).
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.