Fall Salad (Salada de Abobrinha)
A fresh, tasty, and quick Fall Salad made from arugula, yellow squash, zucchini, edible flowers (optional), and pepitas (pumpkin seeds), dressed with orange vinaigrette.
- For the Salad:
- 2-3 cups baby arugula washed and dry
- 1 summer squash unpeeled, washed and dry, ends cut off, known as yellow squash
- 1 zucchini unpeeled, washed and dry, ends cut off
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- A few edible flowers such as calabaza flowers marigolds, or zinnias (optional), gently washed and pat dry
- 2-3 tablespoons dry roasted pepitas pumpkin seeds
- For the Orange Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar (or 1 teaspoon of honey, or sugar beets for a VEGAN version)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (if you like spicy, you can also add a bit of red pepper flakes)
To prepare the salad, place baby arugula into a large bowl and set aside. Working with a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice squash lengthwise/ horizontally and place into the bowl. Then, slice the zucchini crosswise or into rounds and place into the bowl. NOTE: If you prefer to eat the squash and zucchini cooked instead of raw, you can put both sliced vegetables into a medium to large pan filled with boiling, salty water and let cook for about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and then place cooked vegetables into a large bowl filled with ice water for about 30 seconds. Drain and shake to remove excess water before placing into the bowl with the baby arugula. Mix in the shredded cabbage, and flowers (if using them)... and also the pepitas. Set aside and prepare the orange vinaigrette.
For the orange vinaigrette, place all ingredients into a mason jar, tightly close the lid, and shake vigorously until mixture is homogeneous. Open the jar, taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary, and dress the salad, mixing in until combined. Serve immediately as a side dish and enjoy!
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.