Low Carb Coconut Chicken Curry
A dairy-and-gluten-free coconut chicken curry prepared with low carb vegetables, making the perfect weeknight dinner. It can be served over rice and/or with naan bread.
Servings 10 servings
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs (with or without skin) I cut back some calories by using skinless chicken tights
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1/2 TBSP ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP yellow curry powder
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil ( or more if necessary)
- 1/4 yellow or white large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 3 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 cup cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sweet peas, frozen
- 1 TBSP chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and yellow curry powder on both sides and brown in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large no stick pan, about 4-5 minutes per side or until browned.
Then, transfer chicken thighs to a plate using tongs and reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, sweat onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and then garlic for 1 minute, stirring now and then. Do not let brown!
Stir in chicken broth, tomato paste, ground ginger, and coconut milk. Add chicken tights back to the pan and let cook for about 8-10 minutes. Add cauliflower and peas and cook for approximately 4 minutes.
Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, sprinkle cilantro on top, garnish with sliced jalapeno if desired, and serve while is hot.
Dish can be served over basmati rice and/or with Naan bread.
If desired, you can also add 1 cup of small cubed carrots and let cook with the other vegetables. Any leftovers must be covered and refrigerated for about 2-3 days.
Love curries? Try our Quick Vegetarian Lentil Coconut Curry.
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 930mg | Potassium: 652mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 17.2mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.