Mexican Cornbread Dressing Casserole Recipe
An easy, gluten-free, make-ahead Mexican cornbread casserole recipe that makes the perfect side dish for your holidays. It's mildly spicy and quite festive!
Cost $ 1.30 per person
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 2 jalapenos 1 chopped and 1 sliced
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn kernels
- 2 tbsp green onion chopped (or chives)
- salt and pepper a pinch each
- 4 large eggs at room temp
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1 tsp taco seasoning optional
- 1 cornbread gluten-free and prepared according to the instructions on the package, or store-bought ready-made. In either case, cut into cubes
- 3 slices gluten-free white stale bread cut into cubes
First, preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a medium baking dish with either butter or cooking spray. Reserve!
Then, heat a large no stick skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook onion, bell pepper, and chopped jalapeno for about 5 minutes or until fragant. Turn off heat and mix in corn and green onion or chives. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside!
Next, whisk eggs in a large bowl until just combined. Mix in 4 tablespoons melted butter, 3 cups water, Better Than Bouillon, and taco seasoning until homogeneous. Place cubed cornbread and stale bread into the egg/liquid mixture and then mix in the cooked veggies as well.
Gently transfer mixture to the greased dish and bake for about 45-55 minutes or until bread is golden and center is set. Let cool a little, garnish with sliced jalapeno, and serve cornbread dressing warm. Enjoy!
- If you are not on a GF diet, you can use regular cornbread and white bread.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze small amounts in freezer bags and thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave. Make sure both cornbread and bread used in this dressing casserole are dry or stale in order to freeze leftovers.
- You are welcome to use any Better Than Bouillon base variety in this Mexican cornbread casserole.
- If you love spicy food, do not remove seeds from jalapenos.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 708mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1045IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.