One-Pot Brazilian Shrimp Stew (Ensopado de Camarao)
An One-Pot Brazilian Shrimp Stew made from sauteed vegetables and shrimp cooked in coconut milk in less than 30 minutes. The perfect dish for Lent, Easter, or a weeknight meal any time of the year!
Servings 16 people
Cost $ 3.00 per person
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 4 small white onions, chopped
- 4 green bell peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 12 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes (or fresh) If using canned tomatoes, drain the liquid first and discard.
- 4 (13.5 oz) canned coconut milk
- 1 (32 fl. oz.) Clamato® Tomato Cocktail
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste , optional
- 3-4 Tablespoons salt (or more if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons ground black pepper (or more if desired)
- 6 pounds Jumbo or Extra Large shrimp (raw, shell and tail-off), thawed and pat dry
- 4 juicy limes, juiced
- chopped cilantro or parsley
Heat half of the oil in a large no stick pot over medium heat and then add chopped onion and bell pepper.
Let cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Do not let brown!
Add diced tomatoes, letting cook for a couple of minutes, and transfer to a blender.
Add the coconut milk, Clamato tomato cocktail, tomato paste, and seasonings. Blend until smooth.
Using the same pot, heat remaining vegetable oil over medium-high heat and cook raw shrimp for about a couple of minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Pour blended mixture into the pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium and let simmer uncovered for about 10-12 minutes.
Place shrimp into the pot and let cook for about 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat, adjust the seasonings, stir in lemon/lime juice,and chopped cilantro or parsley. Enjoy!
This Brazilian shrimp stew traditionally contains a lot of sauce -- this is why is recommended to serve it over white rice (which of course absorbs part of the sauce) or accompanied by hard-crusted bread to mop up the savory sauce with.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or freeze for up to 2 months.
Calories: 1304kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 117g | Saturated Fat: 101g | Cholesterol: 429mg | Sodium: 2757mg | Potassium: 1530mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 351mg | Iron: 12mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.