Easy chocolate mousse recipe (3 Ingredients/Eggless)
This easy chocolate mousse recipe is eggless, super creamy, and rich, with just the right sweetness. It is made with only 3 ingredients in about 5 minutes. You will love every bite of one of the most decadent desserts ever!
Servings 10 people
Cost $1.30 per person
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream divided
- 18 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14-oz) sweetened condensed milk
Beat 1 cup of cold heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until medium peaks form, which takes 1-2 minutes. Set this cream aside. Tip: For best results, chill the bowl that you’ll be whipping the cream in so that the cream stays as cold as possible. This takes just about 15 minutes in the refrigerator. A chilled bowl helps the cream whip into medium peaks faster.
Next, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring well between each 30-second cooking period, until completely melted. This should take about 1 ½ to 2 minutes. In a small bowl, heat ½ cup of heavy cream in the microwave until warm, about 45-60 seconds. Pour the warmed cream into the melted chocolate along with the sweetened condensed milk; beat with an electric mixer or whisk by hand until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
Finally, fold in the whipped cream that you prepared at the very beginning. Do not overmix; fold just until the mixture is homogeneous. Pour into ramekins, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until fully set and chilled.
To adapt this recipe into a keto chocolate mousse, simply omit the sweetened condensed milk and use sugar-free chocolate. Keep in mind that it will yield less mousse.
Can You Make Mousse Ahead?
Yes, this is a perfect make-ahead dessert because the mousse refrigerates very well. Just be sure to cover the ramekins of mousse well with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out too much. You’ll also want to hold off on any toppings until just before you’re about to serve the mousse.
The easy chocolate mousse will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but is usually best eaten within 3 days.
How to Store Leftover Mousse
Store any leftover mousse in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, either covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
What to Serve with Chocolate Mousse
Although chocolate mousse is delicious all on its own, it is really nice with a few toppings, both for eye appeal and added flavor and texture. Here are some wonderful topping ideas:
- Whipped Cream – a dollop of freshly whipped, lightly sweetened cream is a really nice addition to a serving of chocolate mousse. The richness of the chocolate goes well with the smooth creaminess of the whipped cream.
- Chocolate shavings or curls – grate a small dark or white chocolate bar and sprinkle the shavings over top of the whipped cream on the mousse, or use a vegetable peeler to make chocolate curls to place on top for a beautiful extra touch.
- Fresh berries – top your chocolate mousse with an assortment of fresh berries. Our favorites are sliced strawberries or raspberries. The tartness of the fruit balances the richness of the chocolate so well.
- Caramel – for extra sweetness, drizzle a little caramel sauce or dulce de leche over top of the chocolate mousse.
- Cocoa powder – a light dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder over top of the whipped cream on the mousse is really pretty.
- Mint – add a fresh mint leaf to the top of your chocolate mousse creations for a pop of lovely green color.
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 1mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.