Romeo and Juliet Cupcakes
Romeo and Juliet cupcakes are decadent, moist chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and guava paste swirl.
- For the Romeo and Juliet cupcake batter:
- Homemade chocolate cupcake recipe or use a chocolate cupcake mix of your choice
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 32 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 16 ounces unsalted butter or 4 sticks , cut into chunks, at room temperature
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar to taste
- 2-4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the Guava Paste "Jelly" Swirl:
- 16 oz guava paste cut into chunks (guava paste is available at Latin markets and also in the Latin aisle of some Walmart supermarkets)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Port wine optional
- NOTE: If you would like to fill cupcakes with the guava paste jelly, increase quantity of ingredients described above for the guava paste "jelly" recipe by 1/4 to 1/2.
To prepare Romeo and Juliet cupcakes batter:
Prepare the cream cheese frosting:
Place room temperature cream cheese and butter in a standing mixer bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture is light, fluffy, and well blended. Beat in powdered sugar on slow speed until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract beating until incorporated (about 30 seconds).
To prepare the guava paste swirl:
Place the chopped guava paste, water, and Port wine (optional) in a small nonstick pan. Let boil for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat or until guava paste chunks have softened.
Then, mash the guava paste chunks with a potato masher or fork until chunks melt.
Next, stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is reasonably homogeneous although tiny chunks will remain (Great! Because when piped one can taste the guava paste). However, if you prefer mixture to be completely smooth, blend in a blender until no pieces are found. Pour into a ramekin or small bowl and let come to room temperature.
If you would like to fill the Romeo and Juliet cupcakes with guava paste "jelly," open a medium hole (starting from the top to the middle -- don't go all the way to the bottom) in the center of each cupcake and fill/pipe in a good amount of the frosting or "jelly." Using a closed star tip or other tip of your preference, pipe the swirled frosting on top of cupcake. In order to produce swirling of the frosting, spoon the cream cheese frosting into one side of the piping bag and the guava jelly paste into the other side. Refrigerate! Decorate Romeo and Juliet cupcakes as desired. Enjoy!
GUAVA PASTE SUBSTITUTIONS: Use a store-bought strawberry or raspberry jelly instead, thinned with a bit of water.
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.