Brazilian Chicken Salad/Sandwich (Salpicão de Frango/Sanduíche)
Brazilian chicken salad is quickly made with shredded chicken, apples, carrots, raisins, mayo, and lime juice and served chilled topped with shoestring potatoes.
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast fully cooked and shredded (1/2 kg)
- 1 large apple peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 small white onion grated
- 1 large carrot peeled, grated, and cooked al dente
- 1/3 cup black or green olives chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup corn cooked
- 1/2 small red bell pepper deseeded and small diced
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt (for a dairy-free version, use mayonnaise)
- 5.3 ounces shoestring potatoes (150g)
- 1 spring fresh parsley to decorate optional
- leaves Fresh lettuceto to decorate (optional)
In a large bowl, mix the 8 first ingredients, season with salt, pepper, and lime or lemon juice. Then, mix the mayonnaise or plain yogurt gently. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until chilled.
Right before serving, mix 1/4 of the shoestring potatoes into the chicken salad. Place the salad into a serving bowl and decorate with the lettuce leaves on the sides and with a sprig of fresh parsley on the top.
Note: This salad is often served as a side dish for Christmas, but we also enjoy it all year round in Brazil. It can also be used to make sandwiches. In this case, use french bread rolls (preferred in Brazil), any other hard-crusted bread, or croissants. It will serve many more than 4 to 6 people, depending on the size of bread as well as the amount of filling per sandwich.
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.