Easy Slow Cooker Rice Pudding (Brazilian-Style)
Slow Cooker Rice Pudding is the easy, hassle-free version of a Brazilian classic, making the perfect gluten-free, eggless dessert for any time of year. Serve it either chilled or warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon. So good!
- 3/4 cup dry arborio rice
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups water or canned coconut milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick optional
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon (more for sprinkling)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup warmed hot heavy cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- raisins (2-4 tbsp) optional
First, mix arborio rice, salt, milk, and either water or coconut milk. Add one cinnamon stick if desired. Cook in the slow cooker on high for about 2 hours or until rice is fully cooked.
Then, stir in sugars, cinnamon, sweetened condensed milk, warmed heavy cream, and vanilla until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
Cook for an additional 15-30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, add raisins if desired, and serve warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I prefer mine without raisins; otherwise it adds extra sweetness.
Alternatively, let it cool, cover, and refrigerate until chilled. Serve and enjoy topped with a dash of cinnamon.
- Love rice pudding? Try our Super Creamy Spiced Rice Pudding.
- If the arborio rice is already cooked, the process will be considerably shorter. Basically, place cooked rice in the slow cooker and stir in heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, sugars, vanilla, and cinnamon. Skip milk and coconut milk. Then, cook for about 30-40 minutes or until sauce thickens, yet is still a little bit loose (i.e. has a little bit of fluidity). If necessary, add a little bit more heavy cream to loosen. Serve either warm or chilled.
- Just make sure heavy cream is the same temperature as the rice. If cooked rice is cold, heavy cream has to be cold, and vice-versa. This will prevent the rice pudding sauce from breaking apart or ending up curdled.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 238mg | Iron: 1mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.