Best Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Ready for the BEST homemade Margherita pizza recipe ever? It not only tastes AMAZING but it is super easy to make with only 5 ingredients: this homemade no yeast pizza dough, tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil! No fancy ingredients required, can be baked in a standard oven, and is ready to eat in 30 minutes. And it comes with a PLUS: you can enjoy it without guilt. Come see why!
Servings 8 slices
Cost $ 0.75 per slice
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canned San Marzano tomatoes blended until saucy like a tomato sauce
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella pat dry and cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) pieces
- 10 fresh basil leaves either whole or thinly cut into strips
Preheat the oven to the maximum temperature. Mine reaches a maximum of 550° F (290° C). Position pizza stone, cast-iron skillet, inverted baking sheet, or pizza pan in the center of the middle rack. Allow to heat for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare this no yeast pizza dough and have the toppings ready to assemble the pizza. Once crust is ready, place onto a pizza pan or a large plate that you can use to slide the pizza onto the surface that is being preheated in the oven.
Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce, leaving a ½- inch (1.25 cm) border on all sides. Distribute the cheese evenly, as well as the basil.
Gently slide pizza onto the heated stone, skillet or pan and let it bake for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown on the edges and the cheese is bubbling and caramelized. If baking at 500° F (260° C), bake for about 15 minutes.
Use gloves to remove pizza from the oven. Transfer to a cutting board and drizzle the top with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle the remaining fresh basil on top and serve while hot. If you have an extra crust, assemble and bake the second pizza.
You may store leftovers in the fridge in a sealable plastic bag for up to 2 days. You may freeze the dough flattened into a disc and wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 2 months. Let it come to room temp for 10 minutes before adding the toppings, and then bake.
4 Tips for a Crispy Crust:
- Preheat oven to the highest temperature possible. Whatever is the maximum temperature that your oven can reach, set it to that maximum.
- Preheat pizza stone, inverted baking sheet, pizza pan, or cast-iron skillet for at least 30 minutes.
- Pizza crust must be very thin when it goes into the oven. Keep in mind that the center of the crust must be thin enough that you can see some light shine through (although the edges can be thick) in order to achieve crisp pizza.
- Top with a thin layer of sauce – this not only mimics the traditional Margherita pizza, but it also prevents the sauce from penetrating the crust and making it soggy.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 61mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 83IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 40mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.