Brazilian Corn Chowder
Brazilian corn chowder is a quick, easy and hearty chunky soup made with corn, potatoes, yogurt, and other simple gluten-free ingredients, which can be served with hot Italian sausage if desired.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can sweet whole kernel corn drained (or 3 1/4 cups of fresh corn), 29 oz
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt less or more depending how salty the broth is
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or heavy cream (low-fat)
- 2 hot Italian sausage links cooked and cut into chunks (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat and sweat the onion for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the potato chunks, 2 1/4 cups of the corn kernels, salt and pepper; stir.
Let cook for about 12 minutes or until potato is fork tender. Blend soup with the yogurt or heavy cream in a blender until creamy. Adjust the seasonings if necessary.
Add the remaining 1 cup of corn kernels and serve while soup is warm. It can be garnished on top with chunks of cooked sausage and chopped fresh chives.
- Any leftovers must be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Heat well before eating!
- To make this recipe vegetarian, skip the sausage!
- Love corn? Try our creamy corn gratin.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 2693mg | Potassium: 735mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3.4mg
Comment and rate the recipe. Also follow us on Pinterest at @easyanddelish for more delish recipes.