New Year… Yes, it’s about to arrive!!! Let’s cheer drinking a delicious Champagne Cocktail!!!
In Brazil, preparation for this celebration starts on the morning of December 31, and only ends with the fireworks that take place at midnight. The fireworks last about half an hour, and while they occur, people make their New Year’s wishes. Champagne or champagne cocktail is the ideal drink to celebrate such an important occasion.
I still remember from when I lived there my people’s excitement, their bright eyes full of hope for a new beginning and what it would bring them…
I still remember their offerings to Iemanjá on the beach… For those who don’t know, Iemanjá in Brazil is considered to be the Goddess of the Sea and Mother of Waters. Thus, on New Year’s Eve, a boat loaded with gifts, flowers, jewelry, perfume and rice, is put out to the sea as an offering to lemanjá, asking her to bless our people and also thanking her for past favors, as colored candles float in water and give a splendid view of the moment.
Ah, I also still remember the good luck rituals, such as eating lentils and rice, which are believed to bring prosperity and good luck for the new year… the overflowing dinner tables and the flutes filled with champagne or cocktails made from it… the white clothing which is worn for good luck and peace… and the many musical shows and other performances that take place — including local Brazilian artists who play traditional Brazilian rythms as samba, frevo, pagode, forró, and axé… Because that is the way that many Brazilians celebrate their New Year’s Eve, popular known as Reveillon.
How about yourself? What is your tradition?
Wherever you are in the globe, I hope you celebrate your New Year in the company of your loved ones, enjoying one (or even better, many) of the 25 dishes from this international menu below. You know how much I do appreciate diversity!!! The thing is, whatever dish(es) you choose, it is sure to brighten up your table. Instead of featuring solely my own dishes today (which are already numerous enough to fill up that list), I preferred to share the space today with other bloggers who, like myself, work happily but arduously the whole year round to offer you the best. Some of them I already consider as friends, while others I am just an admirer from afar. This is my way of thanking each one of them for pouring out their soul in the kitchen. It is also a way to thank you for all the support that you have given me/us.
I wish you a very blessed new year. May this be your year…
Happy New Year!!!
Cheers with our Champagne cocktail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A New Year's Champagne Cocktail
- 2 tablespoon red currant syrup
- 8 ounces fresh orange juice 236.5 ml
- 4 ounces Brut champagne or sparkling cider for a non-alcoholic version, 118 ml
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the red currant syrup into each cocktail flute and swirl around. Then, mix both the orange juice and champagne and fill the flutes. Decorate champagne cocktail and enjoy!!!
- Green-Chile-Jalapeño Dip from Chef in Training
- Puff Pastry Pizza with Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Parmesan Cheese Pizzette from Julia’s Album
- Pan-Fried Potato Patties with Rosé Sauce from From Brazil To You
- Wild Mushroom Soup from A Soup a Week
- Acorda de Mariscos from Nosh On. IT (by Eat, Play, Love)
- Festive Holiday Salad with Pomegranate, Pecans, Figs, Goat Cheese, and Turkey from Family Fresh Cooking
- Cucumber Wrapped Sushi from Just One Cookbook
- Lamb Chops from Leite’s Culinária
- Garlic Pork Loin with Wine Sauce from From Brazil To You
- Picanha from From Brazil To You
- Beer-Braised Chicken from From Brazil To You
- Homemade Pappardelle with Prawns, Chilli, and Garlic from The Hungry Australian
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant and Mozzarella from Smitten Kitchen
- Lemon and Herb Couscous Salad from Inspired Taste
- One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf from Food 52
- Vegetables en Papillote from From Brazil To You
- Mashed Cassava from From Brazil To You
- Biscoitos Areias de Cascais from Verdade de Sabor
- Chocolate-Banana Bread Pudding from Jun-Blog
- Sh’mores from Farmette
- Mini Bundt Cakes de Arandanos y Canela from Mi Vida en un Dulce
- Sugar Peony and Chocolate Pistachio from Lulu’s Sweet Treats
- Three Minute Ice Cream from Taste of Beirut
- Prestígio Cheesecake from From Brazil To You
- Rosca de Reyes from Hungry Sofia
** The image of fireworks is from Students of the World.