Brazilian fruit salad consists of a fresh fruit cocktail made with chunks of tropical fruits mixed with orange and lime juices, spices, and a sweetener.
The heat here in Texas is already announcing that summer is about to arrive. This Brazilian fruit salad made with a mixture of fruits is the ideal healthy treat to refresh both body and soul.
On a hot day like today, there is nothing better than eating something light and refreshing, right?
Here’s my idea: how about a chilled tropical Brazilian fruit salad?!!!
In Brazil, our traditional fruit salad is a combination of papaya, pineapple, and bananas tossed with a mixture of fresh orange juice, cinnamon, and sugar or honey.
I also include mango, watermelon, fresh lemon juice, and nutmeg in mine.
This fruit salad can be eaten for breakfast (plain or with yogurt and granola), at snack time, or as a dessert (plain, or topped with ice cream or a hint of heavy cream).
I am telling you: either served alone or with whatever topping of your choice, this salad is heavenly!
Now please excuse me because I cannot wait any longer to devour one of my favorite fresh treats.
Keep yourself cool and enjoy our Brazilian fruit salad!!
Brazilian Fruit Salad (Salada de Frutas)
- 1/4 large papaya peeled, deseeded, and cubed
- 1/4 large pineapple peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 large bananas peeled and medium diced**
- 1 large mango peeled and cubed
- 1/4 small deseeded watermelon peeled and cubed
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash of nutmeg
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- **Before cutting, please see directions.
- Prepare all the fruits, except the bananas, and mix gently together in a plastic or glass bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon juices, the spices, and the sugar or honey. Then, mix with the fruits. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Right before serving, peel and dice the bananas. Mix with the other fruits. Serve the fruit salad plain, topped with a hint of heavy whipping cream, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For both a vegetarian and dairy-free version, serve plain. Enjoy!