Brazilian fruit salad consists of a fresh fruit cocktail made with chunks of tropical fruits mixed with orange and lime juices, spices, and a sweetener.
The heat here in Texas is already announcing that summer is about to arrive. This Brazilian fruit salad made with a mixture of fruits is the ideal healthy treat to refresh both body and soul.
On a hot day like today, there is nothing better than eating something light and refreshing, right?
Here's my idea: how about a chilled tropical Brazilian fruit salad?!!!
In Brazil, our traditional fruit salad is a combination of papaya, pineapple, and bananas tossed with a mixture of fresh orange juice, cinnamon, and sugar or honey.
I also include mango, watermelon, fresh lemon juice, and nutmeg in mine.
This fruit salad can be eaten for breakfast (plain or with yogurt and granola), at snack time, or as a dessert (plain, or topped with ice cream or a hint of heavy cream).
I am telling you: either served alone or with whatever topping of your choice, this salad is heavenly!
Now please excuse me because I cannot wait any longer to devour one of my favorite fresh treats.
Keep yourself cool and enjoy our Brazilian fruit salad!!
Brazilian Fruit Salad (Salada de Frutas)
- ¼ large papaya peeled, deseeded, and cubed
- ¼ large pineapple peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 large bananas peeled and medium diced**
- 1 large mango peeled and cubed
- ¼ small deseeded watermelon peeled and cubed
- ½ to ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash of nutmeg
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- **Before cutting, please see directions.
- Prepare all the fruits, except the bananas, and mix gently together in a plastic or glass bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon juices, the spices, and the sugar or honey. Then, mix with the fruits. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Right before serving, peel and dice the bananas. Mix with the other fruits. Serve the fruit salad plain, topped with a hint of heavy whipping cream, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For both a vegetarian and dairy-free version, serve plain. Enjoy!
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.