Caipirinha drink is a famous thirst quenching cocktail made of lime, sugar, ice, and a rum-like spirit, cachaça. It's the naughty Brazil's national cocktail... cheers to that!
Just as Mexico with its Margarita and Cuba with its Mojito, Brazil also has a national cocktail drink: Caipirinha!
WHAT'S THIS COCKTAIL MADE OF?
Caipirinha drink is made of mashed lime and sugar, ice, and a shot of cachaça.
Just like white rum, cachaça is a sugarcane-derived product, but it has a stronger flavor and aroma because its distillation process retains more impurities.
WHAT DOES 'CAIPIRINHA' MEAN?
Caipirinha is the diminutive of caipira, which means "hillbilly". But the cocktail is most referred to ‘little countryside drink’ rather than the class of person.
In fact, its origin is still not certain yet related to cachaça.
HOW TO MAKE CAIPIRINHA DRINK
To make this caipirinha recipe, first add lime and sugar into a small glass.
Then, mash them together using a pastle, muddler or a wooden spoon. Lastly, fill the glass with ice and add the cachaça.
DISHES THAT PAIR WELL WITH THIS DRINK
One thing I know, caipirinha drink is perfect to accompany feijoada (black bean and pork stew)– Brazil’s national dish.
Caipirinha is such a big thing in Brazil that it is widely available in restaurants, bars, and many households… As well as its variations!
Oh, yeah! There are many variations of this drink as follows:
- Caipifruta – made of cachaça, crushed fresh fruits, sugar, and crushed ice. The usual fruits used are kiwi, passion fruit, lemon, grapes, mango, cajá, cashew fruit, açaí, and strawberry caipirinha.
- Caipisake – it takes sake instead of cachaça. Berries or kiwi are the most used.
- Caipiroska or Caipivodka – made with vodka instead of cachaça.
- Caipiríssima – prepared with rum instead of cachaça.
- Caipirão – made using a liqueur from Portugal, Licor Beirão, instead of cachaça.
- CaipirItaly – Campari, from Italy, subs cachaça.
- Caipinheger – made using Steinhager.
Because I do not drink, mine is made with crushed fruit(s), sugar substitute, crushed ice, and sparkling water. It is the light and virgin version of the drink.
CAN I MAKE CAIPIRINHA COCKTAIL WITH RUM OR VODKA?
If you don't find cachaça, use vodka or white rum. All 3 has a similar ABV .
WHAT TYPE OF SUGAR ?
The traditional caipirinha recipe takes white sugar but you can use almost any sugar substitute.
CAN YOU MAKE IT WITH OTHER FRUITS?
Yes, you can replace lime for almost any fruit.
OTHER DRINK RECIPES:
- Peach rosemary Michelada
- Frozen Pineapple Mint Margarita
- Creamy Pineapple Coconut Cocktail (Batiada de Abacaxi com Coco)
- Cranberry Passion fruit Cocktail
- Pomegranate Caipirinha
Caipirinha Drink Recipe
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or brown if desired)
- ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons cachaça
- Place lime and sugar into a small glass. Mash the two ingredients together using a pastle, muddler or a wooden spoon. Fill the glass with ice and add the cachaça.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.