December is here... Yay! Along with it comes many scrumptious Christmas recipes, such as these Brigadeiro Cookies or Chocolate Fudge Sandwich Cookies (Biscoito Brigadeiro). These are a real hit in my household. Shhhhhh! Come closer and please, don't tell anyone our secret: these are effortless to prepare, yet people think we slaved away in the kitchen to make them. Hehe! Love Oreos? How about some with a customized filling? 😉
Here you have them! Our brigadeiro cookies are no bake, 5-ingredient cookies made from store-bought Oreo-like cookies, filled with homemade brigadeiro dough and covered with chocolate sprinkles. The required ingredients? Oreo cookies or Oreo-like cookies (your choice), sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, unsalted butter, and chocolate sprinkles. Yes, that's it!
My children, husband and I went crazy for them... and so will you! Looking for something scrumptious yet quick and easy to prepare? These are for you! Looking for a great yet economical edible Christmas present to give away? These are it!
Love Oreos? So do I, as well as the rest of the world! But these are no ordinary Oreos. No, no, no! These are Oreos with a SUPERB filling that not even Nabisco will offer you. This is exactly what happens when we combine two beloved and popular treats: Oreos + Brigadeiros = THE BEST COOKIES EVER! A precise equation guaranteed to please even the pickiest palates.
The secular part of the Christmas holiday in Brazil is about Christmas trees, Santa Claus, presents, traditional savory dishes and treats made from chocolate such as torta holandesa, panettone, and rabanada (Portuguese French toast). Although there we don't have a tradition of giving away cookies around this time of the year, as we do here in America, you can bet we would be happy to receive them.
I will be making about 5-6 batches to give away to my children's teachers and their school staff... Who will be your lucky recipients? Shhhh! I promise I won't tell anyone!
Learn all about brigadeiro here.
You may also enjoy Cookies and Cream Dutch Tart.
Brigadeiro Cookies (Chocolate Fudge Sandwich Cookies)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14-ounce
- ¼ cup baking cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus extra to grease plate and hands softened
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract optional
- 14 Oreo sandwich cookies ( I used Great Value Fudge-Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies which don't have the brand name printed on top, yet taste similar to Oreos)
- Chocolate vermicelli or good quality chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare the filling: In a medium non-stick saucepan, whisk the condensed milk and cocoa powder together until obtaining a homogeneous mixture without cocoa lumps. Add the softened butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wood spoon, until the mixture starts to show the bottom of the pan when you scrape it with your wood spoon (about 5-8 minutes). The brigadeiro mixture should be thick enough to reveal the bottom of the pan for a couple of seconds before the mixture levels out again. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract if desired. Spread brigadeiro mixture onto a greased plate and let cool to room temperature. For direction photos, click here.
- While brigadeiro mixture is cooling down, separate the two rounded halves of the sandwich cookies with a gentle twisting motion, taking not to damage or break them in the process. Gently slide a paring knife or other small sharp knife beneath the filling layer in order to lift it off from the cookie and remove it. It's OK if a bit of the filling remains. Reserve separated and denuded cookie rounds, placing them on a flat surface.
- Once brigadeiro mixture has cooled, grease your hands with softened unsalted butter and roll into balls. Use a 1 Tablespoon as measurement (If you prefer less filling, use a ½ tablespoon as measurement when rolling the brigadeiro filling. It will yield 28 sandwich cookies instead. I do prefer mine with lots of filling, though).
- Place each brigadeiro ball on top of a cookie round, cover this with another of the cookie rounds to form a sandwich, and press down on the top to flatten the brigadeiro filling a bit.
- Gently dredge each brigadeiro cookie sandwich in a bowl filled with chocolate sprinkles, rotating so that the brigadeiro filling that is exposed all around the sides gets covered with sprinkles. Enjoy!
- STORAGE: Brigadeiro cookies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.
TO ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY:
Disclosure: No purchase necessary to enter sweepstakes. Entrants must be 18 or older and reside in the United States. The giveaway begins on 12/1/15 at 12:00am CST and goes through 12/10/15 at 11:59pm CST. Approximate retail value for price package is 300 dollars. The color of the mixer may vary. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. The winner will be selected and emailed after the giveaway is over and entries have been verified. The sponsors will not be held liable for any malfunction or damage of the products received. If winner does not contact respond back to Cake Whiz within 48 hours of winning, a new winner will be chosen. We have the right to publish the name of the winner and which entry was selected. The prize will be sent within two weeks. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram are not involved with this giveaway at all. This giveaway is sponsored by Cake Whiz, Diethood, That Skinny Chick Can Bake, Tastes of Lizzy T, Savory Experiments, From Brazil to You, Rose Bakes, Pint Sized Baker, Sugar Hero and The Decorated Cookie.
Cake Whiz Diethood That Skinny Chick Can Bake Tastes of Lizzy T Savory Experiments From Brazil to You Rose Bakes Pint Sized Baker Sugar Hero The Decorated Cookie
That definitely is better that your standard Oreos! Love this idea
Sugar et al. says
OMG Denise! I have died and gone to Heaven. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos and what an awesome idea. I am having serious sweet craving after looking at this now...off to find some chocolate:-)
Denise Browning says
Sonali, my friend: Thanks a ton! If you have a chance, make these for your kids. Hannah, my 9-year-old, is crazy for these (as well as my hubby and I). Seriously, these are very simple to prepare yet DELICIOUS!!!!!!
Simply scrumptious! The chocolate loving Mr would devour the entire batch!
Shashi at RunninSrilankan says
Denise - OH WOW - Oreo's with a fudge filling and chocolate sprinkles - this is decadence exemplified! LOVE these
Chris Scheuer says
These look amazing, I'm definitely trying them. What a clever idea!
Mi Vida en un Dulce says
The best Oreo cookie!!!
Little Cooking Tips says
Ahh...we finally got some time to check out our favorite blog:) And what do we see? Brigadeiro cookies! WOW!:) As if it wasn't enough that brigadeiros are amazing, now it's sandwiched in cookies! Oh dear Denise, this is beyond any description we can put into words!:)
We ADORED this one (of course immediately shared it on Twitter) and we will make it ASAP. We have the Greek equivalent to Oreos, which are Papadopoulos old-style cocoa cookies, that are amazing for this exact recipe.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Off we go to see the next posts:)
Denise Browning says
Likewise. love you guys a lot and your blog. How interesting! it seems several countries have their own Oreo version/equivalent. My country as well although they are much sweeter than Oreos. Thank you for sharing and also for the visits. Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas. May 2016 be immensely better than the year is about to end. xx
Anna @ shenANNAgans says
These are pretty much my idea of a dream dessert. Cannot wait to try making these. Yumbo! 🙂
Samara Santos says
Realmente é uma delicia so de olhar, parabens.
Jeff the Chef says
This is alluring. I have a recipe for making homemade Oreos that'd go great with this filling!
Denise Browning says
Oh, my... Jeff! These will certainly be even more delicious with the homemade Oreos.