Low carb, naturally gluten-free, and meatless Baked Caprese Zucchini Roll Ups that make dinner a delicious yet easy task.
Are you a fan of Caprese salad? How about zucchini?
I love both, and since I have been on a low carb diet, I have been looking for better alternatives for rice, pastas, and other carbs.
This “one-baking dish” Caprese Zucchini Roll Ups replaces lasagna pasta with zucchini, making dinner easy to prepare. with less dishes to clean, yet still healthy, nutritious, and delicious. 😉
How To Make Baked Caprese Zucchini Roll Ups
Grab a medium baking dish. Spread a bit of tomato sauce, arrange zucchini roll ups filled with a cheese mixture, tomato sauce, and basil, and then top with more cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 400º F for about 20 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, browse the internet or read your favorite book/magazine. That’s it! Dinner will be ready in the blink of an eye.
I know… This casserole has everything, including the taste of life made easier for busy moms/full-time workers like us.
Our Caprese Zucchini Roll Ups don’t require any special skill from the cook. It’s also a complete meal all by itself… and leaves your kitchen free from a load of dishes and kitchen utensils.
It may not have “one-pot” or “one-skillet” in its name, but it is definitely part of that same family. It also makes the list of recipes that are naturally gluten-free, as I mentioned earlier.
If you would like to add a GF starch, white rice would be a good option to serve along with it. If you are taking this dish to a potluck, garnish its top beautifully with grape tomatoes, basil leaves, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
As you can see, simplicity here is a real plus!
I will leave you now with the formula for one hero of a dish that you can enjoy without stretching your waistline, and which is easy enough to prepare that you can get some much-deserved rest.
Well, take care and stay healthy!
Other Low Carb Dinners To Try:
- Cauliflower Curry Soup
- Easy Keto Zucchini Bake.
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Coconut Chicken Curry
- One Pot Chicken in Lime Coconut Sauce
- Shrimp in Coconut Sauce
- Shrimp Gratin
- Ranch Chicken Thighs
- Caprese stuffed pork loin roast
- Roast chicken adobo
- Mediterranean chicken foil packets
PIN & ENJOY
Baked Caprese Zucchini Roll Ups
- 1/3 cup store-bought marinara sauce (plus more to spread on zucchini)
- 4 zucchini, ends cut-off and sliced 1/8" thick lengthwise
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarela cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more if desired)
- 1 large egg
- fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced/chopped
- assorted grape tomatoes (optional)
- A drizzle balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spread marinara sauce onto a bottom of a medium baking dish and set aside.
- Cut-off and discard zucchini ends and then slice each zucchini 1/8" thick lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1 1/4 cups mozzarella, 3/4 cup Parmesan, and salt.
- Taste and adjust salt if desired. Stir in the egg well. If you would like to, add a pinch of pepper.
- On each slice of zucchini, spoon a thin layer of sauce, top with a thicker layer of the cheese mixture, and sprinkle a little bit of chopped basil.
- Roll up and place in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups mozzarella and then 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
- If desired, garnish top with halved grape tomatoes, basil leaves, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This casserole can be served by itself or with a side of white rice. Enjoy!