This easy pumpkin bread recipe makes a moist, homemade bread loaf with a creamy and mildly sweet cream cheese frosting and crunchy roasted salted pepitas. It’s better than Starbucks’! Be sure to also try our pumpkin spice pull-apart bread and flourless pumpkin coconut muffins.
Prepare yourself to fall in love with this moist pumpkin bread with a creamy cream cheese frosting and crunchy salted pepitas.
It is more delicious than Starbuck’s pumpkin bread and costs much less. Smiling? Me too!
Reasons to love this easy pumpkin bread recipe
- Our recipe is better than Trader Joe’s, Libby’s, or Starbucks Pumpkin Bread. Why? Besides being tastier and having contrasting texture (moist bread, creamy frosting, and crunchy pepitas, it costs a fraction of the price compared to the others above.
- Versatile: This Pumpkin Bread makes the perfect treat for a snack or even for breakfast or any time of day. You just can’t get enough of it.
- This easy pumpkin bread recipe makes a dense and tall bread loaf, yielding 8 to 12 slices.
Pumpkin bread is a type of quick bread (using no yeast) made with pumpkin puree and spices. Some variations include nuts, chocolate chips, or raisins.
It’s often baked in a bread loaf pan. It is very popular in the Fall season when fresh pumpkins are available, although most recipes call for canned pumpkin, resulting in a stronger pumpkin taste.
Although pumpkin recipes such as pumpkin bread are related to American cuisine, these recipes have a long pre-Columbian history in North America. Many Native American tribes created their own pumpkin recipes prior to the arrival of European settlers.
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). If needed, check out temperature conversion and print chart. Liberally grease an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and cover bottom with parchment paper, hanging it over the sides if desired. This will make removing the loaf from the pan easier.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs just until combined. Then combined the pumpkin puree and spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lastly the flour. SEE PIC. 1 Do not overmix; otherwise, the bread will be tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. SEE PIC. 2 Bake for about 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (or with moist– not wet — crumbs).
- Let it cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan and enjoy warm, or allow bread loaf to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy, about 30-60 seconds. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat at low speed until homogeneous and without lumps. SEE PIC. 3
- Spread over cool easy pumpkin bread and add salted pumpkin seeds to the top. SEE PIC. 4
- To make a keto pumpkin bread, replace all-purpose flour with blanched almond flour (same amount) and also brown sugar for golden monk fruit (about 1 ½ cups).
- For making gluten-free pumpkin bread, simply use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- To make healthy pumpkin bread, replace sugar with honey. For each cup of sugar, use ¾ cup of honey. Use oil instead of butter (same amount). If needed, check out how many sticks of butter in a cup. Use half of the amount of whole wheat flour and half of the all-purpose flour. Our recipe calls for 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour so use ¾ cup of whole wheat and ¾ cup of all-purpose flour. Check out other baking substitutions!
- If you prefer to use fresh pumpkin purée instead of canned, this quick guide on how peeling pumpkin easily will help you a lot.
- Nuts: Add 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter or simply sprinkle on top.
- Chocolate chips: To make a pumpkin chocolate chip bread, simply fold in about 1 cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter right before pouring it into the pan.
- Other chips: You can change it up and use cinnamon chips, butterscotch, caramel chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Raisins: Fold in about 1 cup of raisins into the batter right before pouring into the pan.
- Streusel topping: You may add a streusel topping right before baking.
- To mix the batter, either use a mixer or mix by hand.
- Use either canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix), or cook and peel pumpkin, then mashed it.
- To measure the flour, stir to break it up, then spoon into measuring cup and level.
- If using a 9-inch loaf pan (instead of an 8-inch one), adjust the baking time. It may take about 5 minutes less to be ready.
- Do not overmix the batter because bread may become tough!
- Use always room temp eggs.
- Make sure butter is softened before beating with the sugar otherwise it will be full of curdles of butter.
- Bread must be cool before frosting.
- Use softened cream cheese and butter to make the frosting.
- Make sure to incorporate powdered sugar into the frosting until no longer lumpy.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
To make your own pumpkin pie spice blend, combine 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon with 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice. See? It is simple!
How To Store Homemade Pumpkin Bread
Store this pumpkin loaf in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge for longer.
How Long Will this Quick Bread Keep?
This bread will stay fresh for about 2-3 days at room temperature and for 3-4 days in the fridge.
How to Freeze
Let this simple pumpkin bread cool, wrap tightly in parchment paper or foil, and place in a resealable freezer bag. Then freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure to let it come to room temp before frosting or slicing!
Other pumpkin recipes:
- Coconut Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Flan
- Healthy Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Salsa
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
PIN & ENJOY!
Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
For the bread batter:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp roasted salted pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Liberally grease an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and cover bottom with parchment paper hanging on the sides if desired. This will remove the loaf easier from the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs just until combined. Then combined the pumpkin puree and spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lastly the flour. Do not overmix; otherwise, the bread will be tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Bake for about 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (or with moist, not wet crumbs).
- Let it cool for 15- 20 minutes before removing from the pan and enjoy warm, or allow bread loaf to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy, about 30-60 seconds. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat at low speed until homogeneous and without lumps. Spread over cool easy pumpkin bread and add salted pumpkin seeds to the top.