A step-by-step, delicious and easy Pumpkin Pie Flan recipe (pudim de abóbora) infused with spices, to celebrate the season. It’s gluten-free!
It’s time for a global dessert: the timeless, creamy, smooth, and easy Pumpkin Pie Flan recipe, known in Brazil as Pudim de Abóbora. Is your mouth watering yet? Well, mine is– big time!!!!
I get super excited just thinking about this pumpkin flan. Why is that? Well, this is one of those treats that has the power to transport me home…
It is all that one could ever hope for from a treat and more… It’s rich and very, very comforting!!!
My maternal grandmother used to make one of the best flans ever. I grew up eating both the traditional version (crème caramel) and flavored ones such as coffee flan, chocolate flan (brigadeirao), sweet potato flan, dulce de leche, yucca, corn, and of course, pumpkin pie flan.
I am telling you, this is a great fall dessert, and also a happy surprise for Thanksgiving. It is like having pumpkin pie but without the crust — and by the way, a great alternative for those who are gluten-intolerant.
Ah, one more thing… Don’t you be worried or intimidated. Contrary to what some may say, flan is an easy dessert to prepare — just follow the step-by-step instructions and you will be just fine… really!!!
All you have to do is prepare the caramel sauce (place ingredients in a pan and let them take on color) , blend all the flan ingredients in a blender, skim off the bubbles, and bake.
There is no mystery!!! The most important thing is to NOT OVERBAKE. This is why the recipe includes the time and temp… See? Easy peasy!!!
For more THANKSGIVING RECIPES, check out our 35 Thanksgiving Recipes post, which includes suggestions ranging from breakfast to the main meal, and even leftovers!
HOW TO MAKE EASY PUMPKIN FLAN RECIPE
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Prepare the caramel sauce: Have a 9-inch round, dark, deep baking pan ready to pour the sauce in, once the caramel is done.
Place all the caramel sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and let them dissolve together over medium-high heat, without stirring. If sugar crystals form on the sides of the pan, brush the sides with a pastry brush dipped in a little water.
Now and then, gently swirl it around to lightly mix it. It will start turning color in about 8 to 10 minutes.
Once it reaches a dark amber color, remove from heat. Working quickly and carefully, pour enough caramel to thoroughly coat the bottom of the baking pan. Using kitchen gloves (pan will be hot), swirl around bottom and sides to coat evenly. Set aside to cool and harden.
(SEE MORE OF THE RECIPE BELOW)
EASY PUMPKIN FLAN RECIPE STORAGE:
You can make this pumpkin flan ahead and store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Do not freeze otherwise would alter flan texture!
Easy Pumpkin Pie Flan (Pudim de Abóbora)
- For the caramel sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- Fresh juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- For the pumpkin pie flan:
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk 14 oz., Nestlé or other brand
- 1½ cups whole milk or evaporated milk 12 fl.oz.
- 1 cup 100% canned pure pumpkin Libby or other brand
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice you can use only ground cinnamon if desired
- ¼ cup roasted pecan halves optional
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- To prepare the caramel sauce: Have a 9-inch round, dark, deep baking pan ready to pour the sauce in, once the caramel is done.
- Place all the caramel sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and let them dissolve together over medium-high heat, without stirring. If sugar crystals form on the sides of the pan, brush the sides with a pastry brush dipped in a little water.
- Now and then, gently swirl it around to lightly mix it. It will start turning color in approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once it reaches a dark amber color, remove from heat. Working quickly and carefully, pour enough caramel to thoroughly coat the bottom of the baking pan. Using kitchen gloves (pan will be hot), swirl around bottom and sides to coat evenly. Set aside to cool and harden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pumpkin pie flan: Place sweetened condensed milk, whole milk (or evaporated milk if you are using it instead), pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, and spice in a blender and cover tightly. Blend mixture well until smooth.
- Skim off bubbles from the blender mixture and then gently pour the flan mixture through a fine sieve and into a separate, empty bowl.
- Please, be careful when pouring to avoid creating bubbles. If necessary, use a spoon to help mixture pass through the sieve. Bits from the pumpkin purée and spices will be trapped on the sieve -- preventing them from interfering with the smoothness of the flan.
- Skim off bubbles and pour mixture on top of hardened caramel (pie plate will be almost full). Place a large roasting pan in the preheated oven, position flan baking pan in the center of the roasting pan, and then, pour hot water into the large roasting pan to about halfway up the height of the flan pan.
- Bake pumpkin pie flan 40-45 minutes, or until only slightly jiggly. NOTE: Mine was ready in 40 minutes!
- Using kitchen gloves, remove flan from water and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to up to 2 days.
- Before serving, run a thin knife gently around the edges, place a serving plate (one that can hold the caramel) on top of the flan pan, and invert the pan onto serving dish.
- Pumpkin pie flan can be garnished on top with roasted pecan halves, if desired. Enjoy!
** The nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary depending on the brand or source of the ingredients, portion sizes, recipe changes or variants, as well as other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on the ingredients that you use or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional contents more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor it it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.