New year, new resolutions! After all the holiday splurging, there’s nothing like having balanced meals to help us all to get on track, right? This Low Fat Turkey Chili Bean Sandwich fits the bill, with some added bonuses: it can be prepared in about 25 minutes, is comforting, and is a happy two-in-one stew/bread combo!
This is quick Tex-Mex cooking at its best, folks! Our recipe is an adaptation of the famous chili con carne, the official dish of Texas and one that my tourist-destination hometown, San Antonio, helped to popularize at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
To prepare this easy and complete meal, cook onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Then, brown ground turkey and stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, a few spices, canned beans, chile verdes, and diced tomatoes… and let everything stew for a few minutes. And voila!
Cut off the ends of French rolls or bolillos and hollow out most of their soft center.
I kid you not, in just a few minutes a protein-loaded meal fit for a champion is ready to be devoured, nestled in French rolls and topped with melted cheddar and parsley.
Although it is a complete meal in itself, if you prefer you could serve with a side of baked chips, baby carrots, celery sticks, or a leafy salad.
You can almost think of it as a fun variation of the chili dog — but without all the fat from the sausage. 😉
Well, make, taste… and be healthy and happy. After all, healthy food doesn’t have to be boring!
More Easy and Delish meals are on the way! 🙂
For now, enjoy our yummy Turkey Chili Bean Sandwich!
Low Fat Turkey Chili Bean Sandwich
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 medium white onion small diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey thawed
- 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 can chili beans in mild sauce 8 oz
- 3 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 3 tablespoons canned diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese reduced fat or fat free
- Chopped parsley
- 6 French rolls or bolillos
- In a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sweat onion for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Do not let brown! Increase heat to medium-high and add the ground turkey. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the tomato paste, salt, cumin, sugar, chili powder, water, beans, green chiles, and diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and let cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Cut off the two ends of the rolls and scoop out most of the soft bread center. Spoon the turkey chili into the hollowed out roll while still hot, and top each with a bit of shredded cheddar and chopped parsley. Serve Turkey Chili Bean Sandwich(es) immediately!