Microwave Mac and Cheese is a mess-free, quick and easy dish prepared FROM SCRATCH in one bowl with staple ingredients. It is comfort food that can be enjoyed all year round!
We are just a few weeks away from Thanksgiving… and one of the most requested side dishes for my holiday table is Mac & Cheese.
With a turkey to roast and many other course dishes to prepare, I decided to put my traditional recipe to a test. Yes, I made a One Bowl Microwave Mac and Cheese.
And you know what? This thing is darn good and only takes about 15 minutes to prep and cook. It’s magic in the kitchen!
Forget about boxed mac and cheese! Prepare our quick and super delish Microwave Mac and Cheese — which by the way is a comfort food that can be enjoyed all year round.
Yep, it makes a no-fuss, mess-free, quick weeknight meal with the power to please a crowd.
Thus, these 12 Quick Weeknight Meals to Make Dinner Easier !
HOW TO MAKE ONE BOWL MICROWAVE MAC AND CHEESE (FROM SCRATCH)
All we have to do is to combine macaroni pasta, water, and salt in a microwave safe bowl and cook for about 8 minutes in 2-minute intervals until the pasta is cooked.
Then stir in unsalted butter, heavy cream or half-and-half, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and ground black pepper.
Microwave again for about 1 minute or until cheese melts. Stir and enjoy right away!
You can garnish with a touch of red pepper flakes and fresh herbs such as basil or oregano…
…and serve either by itself or as an accompaniment for turkey or any other meat.
See? Easy peasy!
In fact, it is so simple to prepare that even a child can make it. Mixing and microwaving are the only “skills” required here.
As you can see, this is way easier and less messier than the stove-top and oven-baked versions made from scratch.
OTHER WAYS TO MAKE MAC AND CHEESE
Besides microwave mac and cheese, there is stovetop mac & cheese as well as the baked version.
Here are 2 baked versions:
ABOUT MAC AND CHEESE
Mac and cheese, also known as macaroni and cheese in America and Canada, macaroni cheese in the UK, and macaroni pie in Caribbean English, is made from macaroni pasta and cheese sauce (Mornay sauce) and baked in the oven.
But our Microwave Macaroni and Cheese abbreviates the process, requiring no roux (a mixture of butter and flour) to prepare the dish, yet achieving the desired creaminess.
Got it? So enjoy– not only for the holidays, but why not the whole year round?!
TO PIN AND ENJOY!
One Bowl Microwave Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or a bit more if desired)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (if using half-and-half add 1/2 additional cup of cheese)
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the pasta, water, and salt together. Microwave on high power for about 8 minutes in 2-minute intervals until the pasta is al dente or cooked. Stir mixture between intervals. Note: Cooking time can vary according to the potency of your microwave. If water is absorbed before pasta is cooked, add a bit more water.
- Once pasta is cooked, stir in the butter, heavy cream, cream cheese, cheddar, and pepper. Return bowl to the microwave and let cook for about 1 additional minute or until cheese melts. Stir and enjoy immediately! If desired, you can garnish the top with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs such as basil or oregano.