This hot Almond Milk Matcha Latte is made with 4 simple ingredients in just 5 minutes. It’s sugar-free, keto, and healthy, with a creamy texture and an earthy, comforting flavor... the perfect way to start the day!
Disclosure: This Matcha Latte Recipe post has been sponsored by Torani. Herein, all opinions are my own!
Did you know that making a matcha tea latte at home is quick and easy and can save you big bucks? You'll find here a quick tutorial on how to make your own at home, along with tips and tricks for a smooth, creamy consistency and delish flavor-- all while keeping it healthy… just like many that you can order from your favorite coffee shop.
Our matcha drink calls for plant-based milk and is sweetened with Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup. This makes our hot matcha latte recipe perfect for those on a low carb or keto diet.
In case you didn’t know, matcha makes a great alternative to coffee. It contains less caffeine than coffee and provides several health benefits.
Above all, our hot matcha latte can warm the body and provide comfort to our souls!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Almond Milk Matcha Latte
To make this homemade matcha latte, all you need is 4 simple ingredients:
- Matcha powder: This comes ready in a package, consisting of Japanese finely ground green tea. It has a slightly bitter flavor and vibrant green color from the leaves' high chlorophyll levels. You just have to sieve it before adding hot water in order to get it to dissolve more easily. That gives it a smooth finish instead of a clumpy one.
- Hot water: This helps to dissolve the matcha tea powder more easily. It works best when a small amount is added (just enough to whisk with the tea powder) and then whisked to get rid of clumps. Then more hot water can be added to the cup and mixed well.
- Almond milk: Although you can use any milk you have at home, plant-based milks like almond milk and coconut milk make for a dairy-free drink low in carbs while providing good flavor and creaminess.
- Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup: This is the sweetener of choice, with zero calories per fluid ounce, making it easier to stick to our New Year’s resolutions.
The Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea
There are several proven health benefits of matcha tea when consumed on a regular basis:
- Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Boosts brain function
- May promote heart health
- Helps you lose weight
- May help prevent cancer
- It relaxes the body and mind
- Helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar
- Helps detox the body.
Some say matcha has the highest amount of antioxidants of any superfood. That may be the reason why so many feel great after drinking it – myself included!
About Torani Sugar-Free Syrups
Instead of plain sugar, we preferred to use Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup in our drink. Not only is it sugar-free and ideal for those on a healthy diet, but its coconut flavor pairs quite well with matcha.
Here are a few things to know about Torani Sugar Free Syrups:
- We chose Torani Sugar Free Syrups because they are made with thoughtfully-sourced ingredients like Splenda and are quite easy to use by simply mixing it into your favorite drinks.
- They come in a variety of flavors so you can choose which would make the best pair for your drinks. But one flavor can create endless recipes!
- Torani syrups are available at a Walmart near you. Get yours now!
They sweeten your drink and please your palate without all the extra calories found in sugar and other sugary syrups.
They go well in an iced matcha latte as well as in hot or warm beverages, like our soothing almond milk matcha latte. That means you can start your day in cozy comfort– something everyone could use after a challenging year.
As winter's chill settles in during January and we reflect on the interesting year that 2020 turned out to be, it’s good to know you can give your day an upgrade by simply transforming your everyday tea into a warm and sweet cup of comfort with Torani Sugar Free Syrup.
Let’s welcome 2021 with Hot Tea Month and celebrate sans booze as we cleanse during Dry January.
Don’t you agree that there is nothing like a warm, calming cup of tea to celebrate fresh, new beginnings?
The Ratio (Matcha to Water to Milk):
To make the perfect matcha green tea latte with almond milk, I use the following ratio: 1 teaspoon matcha powder to ½ cup of hot water. Then I add ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk.
That is key to creating a full-bodied almond milk matcha latte that is neither too strong nor too weak.
Keep in mind that the quality of your matcha matters-- not only for achieving a smoother consistency, but also for a less bitter taste. That means no sugary sweetener will be required to make our beverage taste good! Moreover, our sugar-free sweetener adds a subtle coconut flavor to your drink without heaping on calories and fat from canned coconut milk.
Method to Make Matcha Green Tea Latte:
Now that you know the ratio of matcha to water to almond milk, let's find out the perfect method to make a great almond milk matcha latte.
This will work well even if you don’t have a matcha whisk and bowl and a milk frother. Cool, right?
Many recipes out there call for a matcha whisk and bowl to make this hot beverage. Fortunately, ours doesn’t! I actually don't have any of those things yet managed to make a smooth and creamy tea by simply using a small fine sieve, regular whisk, and a large cup.
The result was a tea free of clumps. I started by sieving the matcha powder, which helps eliminate most of the clumps. It works the same way as sieving cocoa powder or flour. You will notice after sieving the powder that clumpy residues of the powder remain in the sieve while the fine product/powder goes into the cup.
Then I used a regular whisk to mix a small amount of hot water with the powder. No W-motion was needed, as required by some when using a matcha whisk. A vigorous circular motion made with a regular whisk was just as effective to break up clumps and get a nice foamy top.
If your teacup has a flat bottom, that's even better, because it will make it easier to mix all the powder in the bottom and get rid of any clumps. If not, use a good-size bowl with a flat bottom.
Although you can simply pour the warm milk into the cup after mixing the matcha powder with the water, I prefer to froth the milk to make it foamy. I don’t have an electric milk frother so I used a personal blender for smoothies to create the foam. A whisk can also create some foam!
As you can see, it is easy-peasy and no special equipment is required. You can make an almond milk matcha latte like a pro using what you have at home!
How to Make Almond Milk Matcha Latte
- Place a small, fine sieve over a small flat-bottomed bowl or a large teacup. Sieve the matcha powder (a few residues or clumps will remain in the sieve).
2. Then pour in a small amount of hot water into the bowl or cup.
3. Whisk in either circular motion or W-pattern to break up any clumps. Pour in the remaining hot water and whisk well. If making a large amount of tea, you may use a large bowl with a flat bottom and an electric hand mixer!
4. Whisk in the syrup and taste. Add more if needed!
5. Froth the warm/hot almond milk, using either a clean whisk and separate bowl or a personal blender for smoothies, for about 1 minute or until foamy. Pour in over the matcha tea to fill the cup.
More Drink Recipes to Enjoy:
PIN & ENJOY!
Almond Milk Matcha Latte Recipe
- Small sieve
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder a good quality one is less bitter
- ½ cup hot water
- ¼ cup Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup
- ¾ cup warm/hot milk I used one that is unsweetened, but if you are not on a keto diet you can use the original/sweetened type. It is up to you!
- Place a small, fine sieve over a small flat-bottomed bowl or a large teacup. Sieve the matcha powder (a few residues or clumps will remain in the sieve). Then pour in a small amount of hot water into the bowl or cup and whisk in either a circular motion or W-pattern to break up any clumps.
- Pour in the remaining hot water and whisk well. If making a large amount of tea, you may use a large bowl with a flat bottom and an electric hand mixer! Whisk in the syrup and taste. Add more if needed!
- Froth the warm/hot almond milk, using a clean whisk and separate bowl or a personal blender for smoothies, for about 1 minute or until foamy. Pour in over the mathca tea to fill the cup. Enjoy!
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.