Hello, good boys and girls! What do you think about our semi-homemade, quick panettone shortcake? For the most part it just requires assembling, but the result is so stunning that anyone might think that it took a lot of effort to make. That is the beauty of the dish! You don’t have to slave in the kitchen or spend a lot of money in order to have a show-stopper like this for the holidays.
I really wish you were here to have a bite… this dessert looks, smells, and tastes like Christmas. Oh, yeah! Just like a shortcake, this is overall a mildly sweet dessert made from layers of chocolate chip panettone, vanilla whipped cream, and berries. It is one of those treats where it is hard to just have one slice. My husband had several… and so my children and I as well. 🙂
As I explained in our post Upside-Down Panettone French Toast from last year, panettone is a staple in my home country of Brazil. It is something that we always have for Christmas, either by itself or incorporated into other desserts– and this year could be no different.
I hope you enjoy it in the form of panettone shortcake. It only takes about 20 minutes to put this together, NO cooking or baking is involved, and the results are amazing — both in taste and looks… so that you can spend more time shopping, setting a beautiful holiday table, preparing the main and side dishes, and catching up with your loved ones. 😉
Quick Panettone Shortcake (Bolo de Panetone)
- 1 oz panettone with chocolate chips or any panettone of your choice (I used the Brazilian brand Bauducco, which can be purchased at Walmart or Walgreens), 17.5or 500 g
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 quart fresh clean berries of your choice ( I used a combo of raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries -- sliced strawberries for in between the layers and whole for the top layer)
- leaves Fresh mint optional
- Remove panettone from the box and plastic bag, and place on a cutting board. Using a large serrated knife, slice horizontally into 3 layers. Set aside.
- Pour heavy cream into the bowl of a mixer. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, add the sugar and vanilla, and whip again until just stiffened. Please do not over-mix -- unless you want to wind up with sweet butter instead of sweet whipped cream!
- To assemble panettone shortcake: Place bottom panettone round on a serving plate and spread on about 1/3 of the whipped cream. Top with a layer of a third of the amount of berries. Top with the other panettone round and spread with another third of whipped cream. Top with a third of the amount of berries. Top with the top panettone round and spread the remaining whipped cream on top. Garnish with the remaining berries, and fresh mint leaves if desired. Slice panettone shortcake and enjoy!