An easy, quick, and delicious strawberry-white chocolate flan made with gelatin. It is a no bake treat!
My, my, my…Our recipe for today is none other than the wonderful Strawberry-White Chocolate Flan, a modern Brazilian gluten-free dessert that is elegant, easy and quick to make, yet full of flavor. Our Strawberry-White Chocolate Flan is a dessert that pleases both children and adults.
Strawberry is certainly not a native Brazilian fruit, as it was first bred in Brittany, France. Neither is Brazil the world’s largest producer of strawberries — the USA is. Yet it is a fruit that is very well esteemed in Brazil, which produces about 100 thousand tons of this fruit per year (yes, you read that correctly: 100,000 tons) — with Minas Gerais State being its largest producer. Most of it is consumed domestically within Brazil. Wow! That is a lot of strawberries to eat — and to cook with… 🙂
Brazilians love all sorts of fruit, and make great use of them in a wide variety of dishes and drinks, as you can see. The exclusive use of tropical fruits in modern Brazilian cuisine is a myth!
Well, let’s go to the kitchen and prepare this gorgeous strawberry-white chocolate flan…
Strawberry-White Chocolate Flan (Flan de Morango e Chocolate Branco)
- For the Flan:
- 1 box strawberry flavored gelatin powder 6 oz/170 g
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 250 g white chocolate chopped
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14oz or 396 g
- 1-1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 can milk use the empty can of condensed milk as a measure
- For the Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 cup strawberry jam use a sugar-free one for a less sweet dessert plus 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Or berry coulis (top yours with the coulis if you prefer a less sweet, tangy dessert)
- Blend the gelatin in a blender with the hot water until dissolved. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler and whisk until smooth. Blend with the dissolved gelatin mixture. Add the condensed milk, cream and milk, and blend again until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Pour this mixture into a round baking pan with a hole (9.5 in or 24 cm in diameter) moistened with water, and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm enough to be unmolded. Unmold strawberry flan and top with the strawberry sauce (recipe below) and garnish as desired.
- To prepare the strawberry sauce: In a small saucepan, over low heat, mix the jam and the water and cook for about 2 minutes. Let cool and pour over the unmolded strawberry flan.
- Note: Recipe adapted from the Guia de Receitas Pavês e Pudins, page 58.