Make this Whipped Ricotta Dip in just 5 minutes by whipping ricotta, cream cheese, garlic, lemon, herbs, and olive oil in a food processor until smooth and creamy. It makes the perfect cold appetizer or snack and can be served with crudites, toast, and crackers.
Looking for an affordable healthy snack or appetizer that you can whip up quickly?
Or you can use it as a spread for making this whipped ricotta toast.!
It serves a bunch of people without breaking the bank. Moreover, the is no cooking involved, making the perfect bite for summer!
Why you’ll love this Ricotta Dip
- Quick and easy: All you need simple ingredients to make this recipe in just 5 minutes. No cooking is needed!
- Mess-free: It requires only a hand mixer or food processor and a serving bowl. Don’t you love mess-free recipes?
- Budget-friendly: All the ingredients are low-cost and widely available!
- Versatile: You can easily adapt this savory dip recipe by replacing ingredients such as fresh herbs and acids, or even make it sweet by replacing garlic with honey and parsley with mint.
- Healthy: It is high-protein and low-carb.
Whipped Ricotta Dip Recipe
This dip is a delicious way to enjoy the mild and creamy cheese that is ricotta.
Ricotta is a fresh cheese made from cow’s milk that has a soft and crumbly texture. By whipping it with a hand mixer or a food processor, you can transform it into a smooth and airy dip that can be flavored with sweet or savory ingredients.
Savory whipped ricotta dip is perfect for serving as an appetizer with bread, crackers, or veggies, or as a spread on sandwiches or toast.
If making a sweet whipped ricotta dip, you can also use it as a topping for desserts like cake, fruit, or pie. The possibilities are endless!
Our recipe features a savory ricotta dip made with ricotta, cream cheese, lemon juice and zest, garlic, herbs, and extra-virgin olive oil.
You can use either a hand mixer or a food processor, as we did, wot whip all the ingredients together.
The result is a creamy and airy cheesy dip perfect for hot days as well as for sports games and get-togethers.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this whipped ricotta dip recipe, you’ll need:
- 15-oz full-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature (or Neufchatel cheese) – Although you can make this recipe without cream cheese, I prefer to add it to mine. It adds a firm consistency to the dip!)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (or lime zest)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder. NOTE: For a more pungent flavor, mince the garlic and add it raw to the dip. For a dip with a mild flavor of garlic, slice the cloves and cook them in a small skillet with 1 tablespoon of EVOO over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, tilting the pan, or until they become light golden brown. Add a drizzle of honey to your dip to help to balance the bitterness of the cooked garlic. I prefer to use raw garlic in mine).
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley (or fresh basil or mint)
How to make whipped ricotta
Follow these simple steps:
1. Make the whipped ricotta appetizer
Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Beat them for about 1-2 minutes or until becoming a homogenous, creamy, and smooth mixture. Transfer to a covered bowl or an airtight container and chill in the fridge.
2. Serve it as a dip or spread
Serve whipped ricotta dip topped with 2-3 tablespoon of Persian cucumber salad , chopped Kalamata olives, a drizzle of EVOO, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and chopped parsley, basil, or mint. Pita chips and crudites make great dippers!
Or you can use it as a spread for toast!
In addition, it makes a great addition to charcuterie boards.
FAQs About Whipped Ricotta Dip
What is ricotta?
Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese made from the liquid left over from making other cheeses. It has a mild flavor and a soft and creamy consistency – the reason why it can be used in a variety of savory dishes and also desserts.
Can I use low-fat ricotta for this ricotta cheese dip?
Although you can use low-fat ricotta, we recommend using full-fat ricotta. The fat adds extra creaminess to the dip as well as flavor!
Why is my whipped ricotta so runny?
If you add too much liquid (e.g., lemon juice or olive oil), your whipped ricotta dip can become runny instead of creamy. To fix it, add more ricotta or another type of creamy cheese such as softened cream cheese.
Is whipped ricotta grainy?
It is mostly creamy with a slightly grainy texture. This happens because ricotta cheese has soft, creamy curds. Even after whipping it for a few minutes, the curds won’t fully dissolve, making the texture a little grainy.
Can I make whipped ricotta with a food processor?
Yes, you can! Just make sure to blend well all the ingredients very well such as ricotta, olive oil, and flavorings (garlic, lemon juice, and/or zest, fresh herbs, spices/seasonings). It must render a creamy mixture that can be served either as a dip or spread.
What to serve with garlic lemon ricotta dip?
You can serve it with toasted French baguette, crackers, pita chips, or vegetables such as celery sticks. Or, you can also use it as a spread on toast and in sandwiches.
How do you store leftover whipped ricotta dip?
You can store leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- Cheese: You can swap cream cheese with goat cheese or feta to make a goat cheese or feta ricotta dip.
- Sweet: If you prefer yours sweet, you can replace garlic with honey and make whipped ricotta with honey instead. Also, swap parsley with mint. These sugared cranberries make the perfect sweet topping for it!
- Nuts: You can garnish the top of your savory or sweet ricotta dip with toasted nuts such as pinenuts or chopped glazed cashew nuts.
- Flavorings: You can easily adapt our recipe to add different spices, seasoning blends, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and a mix of herbs, changing the flavor profile of our recipe.
- Toppings: Chopped herbs, olives, relish, pico de gallo, roasted or marinated chickpeas, chopped pickled veggies, jalapeno, and roasted seeds such as these roasted pumpkin seeds, and zest of citruses make great toppings, adding color and extra flavor to any whipped ricotta dip.
Other dip recipes to enjoy
- Whipped feta dip recipe
- Whipped cream cheese dip recipe
- Pumpkin dip recipe
- Nutella dip recipe
- Easy buffalo dip recipe
- Avocado dip recipe
- Queso fundido dip recipe
- Keto hummus recipe
- Easy avocado hummus recipe
- S’mores dip recipe
- Shrimp cheese ball
- Blue cheese dip
PIN & ENJOY!
Whipped Ricotta Dip
- 1 Food processor or hand mixer
- 1 serving bowl
- 1 lemon zester
- 15- oz full-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature (or Neufchatel cheese) – Although you can make this recipe without cream cheese, I prefer to add it to mine. It adds a firm consistency to the dip!)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest or lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves or 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder. NOTE: For a more pungent flavor, mince the garlic and add it raw to the dip. For a dip with a mild flavor of garlic, slice the cloves and cook them in a small skillet with 1 tablespoon of EVOO over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, tilting the pan, or until they become light golden brown. Add a drizzle of honey to your dip to help to balance the bitterness of the cooked garlic. I prefer to use raw garlic in mine.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley or fresh basil or mint
Make the whipped ricotta appetizer:
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Beat them for about 1-2 minutes or until becoming a homogenous, creamy, and smooth mixture. Transfer to a covered bowl or an airtight container and chill in the fridge.
Serve it as a dip or spread:
- Serve whipped ricotta dip topped with a 2-3 tablespoon of Persian cucumber salad , chopped Kalamata olives, a drizzle of EVOO, a pinch of red pepper flakes and chopped parsley, basil, or mint. Pita chips and crudites make great dippers!
- Or you can use it as a spread for toast! In addition, it makes a great addition to charcuterie boards.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.
Perfect snack to have in the park on Saturdays, since the weather is nice.....