Whipped feta dip (similar to htipiti or tirokafteri) is a creamy Mediterranean appetizer that takes just 5 minutes to make. It's a salty, garlicky, nutty, mildly sweet, sour, and spicy dip that is addicting! Serve with pita chips or crostini for sports games and parties, or as a healthy snack.
Table of Contents
- 1 What’s whipped feta?
- 2 Reasons for making this whipped feta recipe
- 3 Ingredients and Substitutions
- 4 How to make whipped feta
- 5 How to serve
- 6 Can this whipped feta dip be made ahead of time?
- 7 How to store
- 8 Can this feta dip recipe be stored after it’s been served?
- 9 Other Feta Recipes to Try
- 10 Other Dip Recipes to Enjoy
- 11 BEST Whipped Feta Dip
What’s whipped feta?
It is a dip or spread made by blending feta cheese with yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and sometimes another type of soft, white cheese. It is similar to a Greek mezze called htipiti or tirokafteri.
The difference is htipiti or tirokafteri calls for both hot and roasted peppers and also oregano.
Our whipped feta recipe is served with different toppings. You can pretty much make your own according to your taste and occasion (game days, holidays, etc).
Reasons for making this whipped feta recipe
- It's quick and easy! All you have to do is to blend feta cheese with yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and cream cheese until smooth. Then top with a good drizzle of olive oil and honey, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes, and toasted pine nuts. It is one of the easiest appetizers you can ever make.
- Mess-free – At the end, you’ll only have a blender or food processor and a plate to clean.
- It’s healthy: This Greek mezze is rich in protein (feta cheese), and nutrients, and also contains healthy fats such as olive oil and pinenuts. It is gluten-free and can be keto if you use sugar-free honey.
- Versatile: This whipped feta works best as a dip for veggies and bread -- just like this whipped ricotta dip. However, you can use it as a breakfast spread for toast and a ‘sauce’ for savory meals (wraps, sandwiches, and pasta). However, you can use it as a breakfast spread for toast and a ‘sauce’ for savory meals (wraps, sandwiches, and pasta).
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Greek Feta Cheese- For the best texture, use a block of brined or creamy feta instead of crumbled feta cheese which is too dry. If you use crumbled feta, the whipped feta dip won’t be as creamy and may curd a little after whipping.
- Other Dairy - We added both Greek yogurt to make the dip tangier and cream cheese to make it creamier. Both provide richness and body to the feta dip. You can replace Greek yogurt with sour cream if you want – and the cream cheese with creamy goat cheese.
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)– It will thin the dip a little while adding a rich and fruity flavor.
- Fresh Garlic - Freshly grated garlic always has a better, bolder flavor than the jarred ones.
- Fresh lemon juice – it will add a zing to the whipped feta and more flavor! Make sure to use freshly squeezed lemon instead of the bottled stuff. You can also add lemon zest for a tangier whipped feta dip!
- Toppings- You can choose your own every time making this recipe unique. But we added ingredients (a drizzle of honey, EVOO, pinenuts, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, fresh mint, oregano, and parsley) that contain different profile flavors, making the dip so good. Of course, other alternative toppings such as chopped roasted red peppers, roasted cherry tomatoes, and/or olives would go well on this creamy dip.
How to make whipped feta
Step 1: Blend ingredients
In a food processor or blender, combine feta cheese, cream cheese (at room temperature), Greek yogurt, olive oil, grated garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and black pepper until it has a creamy, smooth texture.
Step 2: Arrange toppings
Transfer the creamy whipped feta dip to a shallow bowl or plate and top with EVOO, honey, toasted pinenuts, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning or dried oregano, and fresh herbs like mint, oregano, and chopped parsley.
Step 3: Serve
Serve with warm pita bread, pita chips, crostini/crusty bread, and crudités (veggies).
WATCH OUR QUICK VIDEO FOR THE STEP-BY-STEP!
How to serve
- As a Dip: Whipped feta makes the perfect dip for veggies like this air fryer asparagus, roasted carrots and parsnips, air fryer Brussels sprouts, and yuca fries. Moreover, for crackers and breads like no yeast naan.
- As a Spread: Use it as a spread for toasts, sandwiches, wraps, and burritos, and to serve on a charcuterie board, veggie platter, or this easy charcuterie board.
- Also as a Sauce or thick Dressing: It makes a great sauce for pasta and meats like shrimp and asparagus skewers and a salad dressing.
Can this whipped feta dip be made ahead of time?
Yes, it can! Just blend all the ingredients, transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap until it’s time to serve.
But only top it right before serving.
How to store
Keep leftover whipped feta in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
You may freeze it for up to 3 months.
To thaw, simply place it in the fridge overnight. You may have to blend it again to make it creamy (without any curds).
Can this feta dip recipe be stored after it’s been served?
Although it is possible, there isn’t any leftover around here.
But if you have it keep it wrapped in plastic wrap for one day in the fridge. But be aware the fresh herbs won’t be as fresh.
Also, make sure to scrape off the drizzle of olive oil before chilling.
Other Feta Recipes to Try
Other Dip Recipes to Enjoy
PIN AND ENJOY!
BEST Whipped Feta Dip
- 1 Food processor (or blender)
- 1 shallow bowl
For the whipped feta dip:
- 8 oz feta cheese (1 block)-- Choose either a brined or creamy feta, not crumbled. Drain the brined liquid!
- 4 oz cream cheese or ½ package
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove grated
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper a pinch each
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil a drizzle
- Honey a drizzle (to make it keto, use sugar-free honey or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoon toasted pinenuts SEE NOTES
- Italian seasoning or dried oregano (a pinch)
- Red pepper flakes a pinch
- Fresh oregano and mint
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Blend ingredients: In a food processor or blender, combine feta cheese, cream cheese (at room temperature), Greek yogurt, olive oil, grated garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and black pepper until it has a creamy, smooth texture (about 3-5 minutes).
- Arrange toppings: Transfer the creamy whipped feta dip to a shallow bowl or plate and top with EVOO, honey, toasted pinenuts, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning or dried oregano, and fresh herbs like mint, oregano, and chopped parsley.
- Serve with warm pita bread, pita chips, crostini/crusty bread, and/or crudités (veggies).
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.