Delish guilt-free mini baked donuts which are both easy and quick to prepare.
It is the first day of Fall, my fave season… I will be sharing with you a seasonal, guilt-free yet delish recipe: Apple Cider Baked Donuts with Maple Glaze.
I have had these apple cider donuts for both breakfast and an snack… Oh, if you could only see the smile on my face — and my kids’ faces as well!!!
The recipe for these baked donuts has been adapted from Apple Cider and Cinnamon Baked Donuts by We Heart Vegan, the vegan blog that I have been assigned for this month.
Brittany, author of We Heart Vegan, has a bachelor of science degree in food and nutrition and a mission to educate others on how “good vegan food can not only be healthy but also cheap and appealing to everyone.”
Visit her blog! It was a hard task for me to choose only one from among so many superb recipes.
Because I did not have coconut flour, egg replacer, and vegan butter in my pantry and fridge, I had to replace them with all-purpose flour, real eggs, and unsalted butter.
Instead of tossing these baked donuts in a premixed mixture of cinnamon and sugar as Brittany did, I drizzled them with maple glaze.
Of course, you are welcome to try both my guilt-free donuts or Brittany’s vegan apple cider and cinnamon baked donuts.
Although my donuts are not vegan, they are guilt-free (small and baked which means they are both lower in calories and less fattening). I’d love to have your feedback!!
Enjoy the season and many of our fall goodies such as these Apple Cider Baked Donuts and our Candied Sweet Potatoes Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow Topping.
HOW TO MAKE GUILT-FREE APPLE CIDER BAKED DONUTS
Preheat oven to 350 º F (177 º C).
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. In a small separate bowl, whisk the egg. Set both aside.
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the apple cider, sugar and butter, stirring often, until butter has just melted.
Remove from heat, let cool for 2 minutes, and stir in the apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and whisked egg.
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry; stir well with a whisker until combined and almost no lumps are visible.
(SEE REST OF THE BAKED DONUTS RECIPE BELOW)
OTHER APPLE TREATS:
- Fried Apple Cobbler Bars
- Apple Spice Baked Oatmeal
- Salted Caramel Apple Cider
- Ruby Apple Pie
- Apple Almond Skillet Cake
Guilt-Free Apple Cider Baked Donuts with Maple Glaze
- For the Apple Cider Baked Donuts:
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For the Maple Glaze:
- 1-1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup or Karo
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring optional
- Preheat oven to 350 º F (177 º C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. In a small separate bowl, whisk the egg. Set both aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the apple cider, sugar and butter, stirring continuously until butter has just melted. Remove from heat, let cool for 2 minutes, and stir in the apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and whisked egg. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry; stir well with a whisker until combined and almost no lumps are visible.
- Using a tablespoon or a cookie scooper, spoon/scoop batter into a donut pan (3/4 full). Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes (standard-size, yielding about 6 donuts) or for 6-7 minutes (mini baked donuts, yielding about 26), or until light brown and cooked through. Let cool for 2-3 minutes on a rack. Then, remove baked donuts from pan and place them directly on a rack to cool completely before dipping into glaze.
- For the Maple Glaze: Whisk everything together in a small bowl until smooth. Set rack of donuts over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Dip the top of the baked donuts into the maple glaze, turning to coat well. Let baked donuts rest on rack until glaze sets.