A dairy-and-gluten-free coconut chicken curry prepared with low carb vegetables, making the perfect weeknight dinner. It can be served over rice and/or with naan bread.
I love Indian food — and curries most of all. This dairy-free and also gluten-free Coconut Chicken Curry takes its inspiration in the hearty and comforting flavors of Indian cuisine — with the spiciness dialed back a bit. A real plus here: it was prepared with low carb vegetables such as cauliflower instead of potatoes.
This stew makes the perfect weeknight dinner and can be served over rice and/or with naan bread.
The easy preparation means that after a tiresome day of work you can still fix your family a very nice meal that is stress-free and quite delicious. It’s also more economical than takeout!
A great way to deliver a hearty and comforting dish to the table! Because making your life (and mine) simple is my mission. 🙂
I hope you enjoy our Coconut Chicken Curry and get some well-deserved rest after a busy day. This dish is a real gem for those who work hard on a daily basis, but don’t want to skimp on great eating.
How To Make Coconut Chicken Curry
Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and yellow curry powder on both sides and brown in oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, about 4-5 minutes per side.
Then, transfer chicken thighs to a plate, add remaining oil, and sweat onion and garlic over medium heat.
Stir in chicken broth, ground ginger, tomato paste, and coconut milk. Add chicken thighs back to the pan and let cook for about 8-10 minutes. Add cauliflower and peas and cook for approximately 4 minutes.
Adjust seasonings, garnish with chopped cilantro/parsley and sliced jalapeno, and serve coconut chicken curry while it’s hot.
See? Easy peasy! Love one-pot meals? Take a look at our 70 easy and healthy one pot meals.
PIN & ENJOY!
Low Carb Coconut Chicken Curry
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs (with or without skin) I cut back some calories by using skinless chicken tights
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1/2 TBSP ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP yellow curry powder
- 3 TBSP vegetable oil ( or more if necessary)
- 1/4 yellow or white large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 3 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 cup cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sweet peas, frozen
- 1 TBSP chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- Season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and yellow curry powder on both sides and brown in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large no stick pan, about 4-5 minutes per side or until browned.
- Then, transfer chicken thighs to a plate using tongs and reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, sweat onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and then garlic for 1 minute, stirring now and then. Do not let brown!
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato paste, ground ginger, and coconut milk. Add chicken tights back to the pan and let cook for about 8-10 minutes. Add cauliflower and peas and cook for approximately 4 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, sprinkle cilantro on top, garnish with sliced jalapeno if desired, and serve while is hot.