I can't believe it... Thanksgiving is already knocking at the door. Since it is just around the corner, we will be making great holiday side dishes this week. The first will be my famous Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk, Bacon, and Cilantro, which is both gluten-and-dairy-free. This will be a rare exception, because normally to get ahold of this recipe you would have to attend one of my classes. But this will be a gift from me to you, because I am grateful for your readership.
These mashed sweet potatoes will be something new to present to your family and guests. I know that Americans tend to use sweet potatoes in sweet preparations or in traditional candied sweet potato casseroles with pecans and marshmallows. And regular mashed potatoes are the most popular holiday side dish.
Well, why not change things up a bit this year and try my famous mashed sweet potatoes? Famous? Yes! I think that I've never mentioned it here, but this is without a doubt the most well-appreciated and well-remembered side dish from my cooking classes. All my students have loved these mashed potatoes-- I mean, every single time that they return to my new classes, they let me know how much they enjoy these mashed sweet potatoes and how they make them frequently at home. You can imagine how much that makes me smile!
I am following the Brazilian trend of using sweet potatoes not only in desserts but also in savory dishes such as mashed sweet potatoes and stir-fried sliced sweet potatoes. My famous mashed sweet potatoes was inspired by the Brazilian dish quibebe or mashed pumpkin with coconut milk and cilantro.
Although most Brazilians use milk in their mashed sweet potatoes, I use coconut milk in mine. I am from the Northeast region where coconut milk is abundant and ever-present at our tables. If you are not a fan of coconut milk, no worries-- although you might be surprised by how mild its taste is, you can replaced it with milk, if desired. 🙁 You can also substitute parsley instead of cilantro if you prefer.
Try my mashed sweet potatoes this holiday season... I'd love to hear your feedback!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk, Bacon, and Cilantro
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup coconut milk heated
- 1-½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Knorr chicken flavor bouillon ** powder
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup fully cooked smoked bacon cut into small pieces and sauteed
- Salt and black ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ** Knorr chicken flavor bouillon powder is available at Latin markets and also at local supermarkets (Latin aisle).
- Boil sweet potatoes in a large pot of cold salted water until very tender (about 15 minutes). Drain. Let stand in colander 2-5 minutes. Purée sweet potatoes with a potato ricer or masher; then, stir in the coconut milk until mixture is homogeneous and creamy.
- Add the garlic and chicken bouillon powder, nutmeg, sauteed bacon, salt and pepper; stir well.
- Before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro.
** Nutrition labels on easyanddelish.com are for educational purposes only. This info is provided as a courtesy and is only an estimate, since the nutrition content of recipes can vary based on ingredient brand or source, portion sizes, recipe changes/variations, and other factors. We suggest making your own calculations using your preferred calculator, based on which ingredients you use, or consulting with a registered dietitian to determine nutritional values more precisely.
Please note that health-focused and diet information provided on easyanddelish.com is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Consult with your doctor or other qualified health professional prior to initiating any significant change in your diet or exercise regimen, or for any other issue necessitating medical advice.