The weather has finally improved here in Texas. It has been a mostly sunny and rather warm day. What a blessing!
It reminds me my home country Brazil. If I were there, I’d probably have taken my two little mermaids to the beach to enjoy both the day and our Beach-Style Cold Chicken Sandwich (Sanduíche Natural de Frango).
I’ll never forget how they loved their days on the beach last October– their laughter… all the sand castles that they built together…. Ah, nor could I forget all the fruit popsicles, fresh coconut water, cod cakes, and of course, the tasty chicken sandwich…
This gives me an excellent idea. Wouldn’t you agree that something healthy and light is the perfect fit for a warm day?
It is just what I’ll have for dinner: a cold chicken sandwich! Yum…
Beach-Style Cold Chicken Sandwich
- 3/4 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon ketchup optional
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh carrots peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices large100% whole wheat bread
- In a medium bowl, mix well the shredded chicken, the mayo or plain yogurt, ketchup, lemon juice, carrots, raisins, salt, and pepper.
- Place half of the mixture on the top of a slice of bread and put the other slice of bread on top. Repeat the same with other bread slices. Wrap chicken sandwiches in individual plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 40 minutes. Serve and enjoy! It is great with fresh fruits and a chilled lemonade or other cold beverage.
If desired, you can add 1/4 cup finely chopped celery or cooked corn kernels to the recipe.