4-Ingredient Dulce de Leche Apple Hand Pies (a.k.a. Appoffee hand pies) made in 30 minutes or so and served by themselves, with a drizzle of dulce de leche, or with a scoop of ice cream.
Unbelievable! September is almost here… that means that fall, my favorite season, will officially start soon. I thought it would be the perfect occasion to prepare these quick and easy, 4-ingredient dulce de leche apple hand pies.
These are a fuss-free take on the Brazilian Pastel de Maçã com Doce de Leite, as well as an adaptation of the English Banoffee Pie although these are made with apples instead of bananas. They are small (portion controlled) yet quite indulgent!
HOW TO MAKE DULCE DE LECHE APPLE HAND PIES
All one has to do is to cut pie crusts into rounds using a cookie cutter, fill the rounds with a spoonful of dulce de leche/caramel spread and canned apple pie filling. Then, brush the edges with an egg wash, close the hand pies…
… and bake for about 11-13 minutes. Voila! Here comes the best part: devouring them… either with a drizzle of dulce de leche or caramel, or with a scoop of ice cream. Yummm!
These make a great afternoon snack or quick dessert. Back to school? Having a potluck or get-together? Need to prepare a fuss-free treat that can be transported without a mess? These dulce de leche apple hand pies fit the bill for these or any other occasions!
They are a fall treat to please both adults and children — including ‘yours truly’ more than anyone else. 😉
Enjoy the upcoming baking season and all the goodies that it has to offer!
OTHER PIE RECIPES:
4-Ingredient Dulce de Leche Apple Hand Pies
- 2 store-bought rolled pie crusts at room temperature, 9-inch
- 11 tablespoons dulce de leche about 3/4 cup, I used Nestle La Lechera
- 1 cup canned apple pie filling or topping roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon large egg lightly beaten and mixed with 1of water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unroll both pie crusts on a floured surface according to the directions on the package. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut crusts into rounds. Use all the trimmings to make a ball of dough, roll out on a floured surface, and cut into more rounds. You will end up with a total of 11 circle or rounds. Reserve.
- Fill a half side of each round with 1 tablespoon of dulce de leche and top it with 3 to 4 small pieces of apple pie filling. Make sure that there is at least a 1/4 to 1/3-inch border from the edges.
- Brush the edges of the crust with the egg wash, then fold the empty side of the crust over the top of the filling. Pinch your fingers along the edges to seal and then use a fork to make crimp marks all the way around. Transfer the dulce de leche apple hand pies to the lined baking sheet and brush the top of the pies with more egg wash.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes on the baking pan, then remove them with a large spatula. Serve by themselves, with a drizzle of dulce de leche/caramel, or with a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.