Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe is the easy, healthy version of the classic, making the perfect family meal for busy weekdays.
One of my goals this year is to put my slow cooker to use and make more healthy dinners.
As a result, I decided to start with a long-time family favorite: Beef Stroganoff!
But this recipe offers a plus above other recipes that you may find out there.
It’s the healthy recipe version of the classic, yet is just as yummy as the regular stew. This is not a beef stroganoff with cream of mushroom soup.
It features tender lean stewed beef, low sodium broth, nonfat Greek yogurt instead of the usual sour cream, and has no flour.
Thus, it is gluten-free, low carb, and contains less fat than most online Beef Stroganoff recipes.
The result: a dish to enjoy all year round without stretching your waistline.
Although our Slow Cooker Beef Stew is sided by (gluten-free) egg noodles (just like as our Lean Pork Stroganoff)…
…if desired you could serve it over spaghetti squash for a keto or low carb complete meal.
Or serve it with a hard-crusted bread or any other side of your choice.
What does the Word Stroganoff Mean?
The word stroganoff comes from a French mustard for seasoning beef according to the “A Taste of Russia” cookbook.
What Cuts of Beef is Best for Beef Stroganoff?
If making on the stovetop, use more tender cuts of beef such as:
- beef tenderloin
- sirloin steak
- boneless sirloin
- boneless rib eye
Why? Because it will reduce the cooking time to 30-45 minutes and wiill render a tender meat stew.
But if you are making the recipe for beef stroganoff in the slow cooker, you may use more affordable, tough cuts of meat such as:
- beef round
- beef chuck
- ground beef
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Beef stew meat
- Red Wine
- Tomato Paste
- Greek yogurt or Light sour cream
- Herbs such as parsley, thyme, or dill
Tools for Making Beef Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker
- Nonstick skillet (for browning beef)
- Slow Cooker (for cooking)
- Wooden spoon (for stirring)
How Long to Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Crock Pot?
You may cook this recipe for slow cooker beef stroganoff on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 6-8 hours.
How to Make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- First, season chunks of beef with salt, pepper, and paprika on all sides.
- Second, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat in a large no stick skillet.
- Third, add beef in a single layer (do NOT overcrowd the pan). Brown for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Then, add the meat to the slow cooker. Brown the rest of the beef and add to the slow cooker.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook onions and mushrooms over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the slow cooker. Pour the broth, wine, and tomato paste into the slow cooker, stirring well.
- OR, if desired, skip all the browning and dump all into the crock pot except the oil (which is only needed if browning before slow cooking and otherwise is skipped).
- But be aware stew will have less flavor!
- Cover the slow cooker and set on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 6-8 hours. Uncover, stir in Greek yogurt, and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff either over cooked egg noodles or squash. Enjoy!
Can Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Be Made on the Stovetop?
Yes! But be aware that to cook beef stroganoff on the stovetop will take about 45-60 minutes to cook and will need to use a more tender cut of beef.
Beef Stroganoff Variations
Ours is the healthy version of the classic Stroganov, which is a 19th century Russian dish.
The old version consists of sautéed pieces of tender beef (tenderloin/sirloin steak) served in a sauce with sour cream!!!
The dish has become popular all around the world.
But now features all sorts of variations in the type of meat and other ingredients used…
…in addition, of course, to a diverse group of sides.
It’s served with crispy pan-fried potatoes in Russia.
But egg noodles are among the most common sides in the U.S…
… while white rice and shoestring potatoes are the most usual sides in Brazil.
Slow Cooker or Crock Pot Cooking Method
Although this dish can be cooked in about 45 minutes in a regular pan — just like our Chicken Stroganoff…
… this time we made it in the slow cooker.
Unlike a regular pan, the stew can cook by itself for hours in the slow cooker.
Just set the timer, and relax!
Dinner will be ready within 4 to 8 hours, hassle free. 🙂
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
Yes! You can freeze beef stroganoff with sour cream or cream cheese for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and heat gently, stirring well.
What to Serve with Healthy Beef Stroganoff?
It goes weel with:
- egg noodles (including gluten-free),
- spaghetti squash or zoodles for a low carb version,
- hard-crusted bread,
- mashed potatoes,
- crispy potatoes or shoestring potatoes
It’s comfort food! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
PIN & ENJOY!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- slow cooker
- nonstick skillet
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil this is used only if pre-browning/sauteeing before slow cooking
- 2 1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable or beef broth
- 1/3 cup red wine (use broth instead if desired)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or light sour cream if desired) AT ROOM TEMP to prevent curdling
- 2-3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Season chunks of beef with salt, pepper, and paprika on all sides.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat in a large no stick skillet. Add beef in a single layer (do NOT overcrowd the pan). Brown for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add the meat to the slow cooker. Brown the remaining beef and add to the slow cooker.
- Using the same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil and cook onions and mushrooms over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Pour the broth, wine, and tomato paste into the slow cooker, stirring just until combined.
- Alternatively, if desired, skip the browning/ sauteeing steps above and dump everything into the crock pot or slow cooker except the oil (which is only needed if browning before slow cooking and otherwise is omitted). But be aware stew will be less flavorful!
- Cover the slow cooker on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 6-8 hours depending on your time.
- Uncover, stir in Greek yogurt, and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff either over cooked egg noodles or cooked spaghetti squash. Enjoy!
- Love stroganoff? Try our chicken stroganoff or our slow cooker lean pork stroganoff.
- Suggested accompaniments:
- (Gluten-free) egg noodles;
- White Rice and/or shoestring potatoes;
- Crispy pan-fried potatoes;
- Spaghetti squash (low carb).
- Zoodles (low carb)
- Hard-crusted bread