Ah, summer! One of the most eagerly anticipated seasons… I am starting mine off on the right foot — as we say in Brazil. Why, didn’t I mention to you that my mornings are starting off with the quick, energy-boosting, satiating, and very refreshing Açaí Bowl or Açaí na Tigela?
Açaí bowl is a typical Brazilian dish from the Amazonian region. Its preparation can vary from one region to the next, as well as at which meal it is served, revealing different customs.
In most of the country, açaí bowl is made from frozen açaí pulp that is blended and sweetened with guaraná syrup until obtaining a smoothie-like consistency. Then, it is topped with banana slices (and/or other fruits) and granola. It is often consumed either at breakfast time or before/after exercising at the gym.
However, in the Amazon region, açaí bowl is made from fresh, mashed açaí (a machine separates the thin layer of the fruit from its pit) which is sold unsweetened by the liter to be consumed at lunch or for dinner. Something cheap to fill you up!
Açaí (ah-sigh-EE), the fruit of a palm, is well-known for its antioxidant, immune-stimulating, and energy-boosting properties…
In the United States, as in the rest of the world, it is generally added to juices or marketed in beauty products or as a dietary supplement. In contrast, in Brazil it is principally used to prepare açaí bowls, smoothies, ice cream, candies, and fashion jewelry. Many beach snack kiosks and juice shops carry at least one of these items.
Have you ever tried açaí? If so, how about an açaí bowl? Well, this is your chance! Frozen açaí pulp is available in the U.S. from different brands, both online and at many local martket chains such as Sprouts and Whole Foods. Some of them come sweetened with guaraná syrup — a real favorite of mine.
To prepare this wonderful açaí bowl, all that you need is frozen açaí pulp, guaraná syrup or honey, bananas, and granola. Spend little time in the kitchen preparing something healthy and get some great nutrition out of it! You can have it for breakfast, before or after exercising at the gym, or serve it while watching a sporting event such as the upcoming World Cup. Açaí bowl is a summer must-have!!!!
So here is: Açaí bowl from Brazil to you… And Happy Summer!
Açaí Bowl (Açaí na Tigela)
- 8 oz frozen açaí pulp cut into chunks
- ¼ cup chilled water
- 1/3 cup guaraná syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup crushed ice
- Banana and granola to serve on top
- In a blender, blend together the chunked frozen açaí pulp, water, guaraná syrup or honey, and the crushed ice until smooth. If the mixture is too thick to blend, stop the blender and stir. Pour mixture into one medium or two small bowls.
- Serve açaí bowl immediately topped with bananas slices and granola.
1. Machine that separates the açaí pulp from its pit — License: Public domain.
2. Açaí dangles off the palm — Source: Zoom50 .
3. Açaí fruit close up — Source: Minha Vida No Rio.