Grilled Vegetable Pizza
- For the pizza and vegetables:
- 1 ear of corn covered in water for about 1/2 hour and then husks and silk removed
- 1/4 inch red onion peeled and sliced into 1/3rings
- 1 large carrot peeled, ends cut-off, sliced lengthwise, and then cut into sticks
- 1 zucchini washed, ends cut-off, and sliced lengthwise
- 10-12 grape tomatoes washed and stem removed
- Olive oil to brush
- 2 large pita breads
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crumbled Castello® Traditional Danish Blue to sprinkle on top
- For the cheese spread:
- 4 oz Castello® Traditional Danish Blue softened or at room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese softened or at room temperature, 1/2 package
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped green onion or chives
- 1 clove of garlic minced (optional)
Start by preparing the cheese spread. Place all of the cheese spread ingredients in a food processor, pulsing well until mixture is homogeneous and fairly smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate. Bring it to room temperature 5-10 minutes prior to spreading on pizza.
Then, grill the vegetables. Brush all vegetables with oil. If using a gas or charcoal grill, place brushed vegetables on a grill rack over medium-low heat. If using a griddle like I did, heat griddle over large burner on medium to medium-low heat, brush its surface with oil as well, and then grill vegetables. Times varies from one vegetable to the other. For corn, grill for about 15-20 minutes (grill) or 8-10 minutes (griddle), or until cooked and grill marks appear; cut corn kernels off the cob. For red onions, about 3 minutes per side. For carrots, about 2-3 minutes per side. For zucchini, about 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. For grape tomatoes, which can be skewered or not, approximately 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side, or just until grilled marks appear. Of course, you can replace any of these vegetables, customizing according to your preference. Place all grilled vegetables in a platter and cover.
Finally, brush pitas with oil on both sides and grill for about 1-2 minutes per side or just until warm and grill marks appear.
To assemble the grilled vegetable pizza: Lay both grilled breads on a surface, spread cheese spread on both, arrange grilled vegetables on top, sprinkle salt and pepper, drizzle on a bit of olive oil if desired, and then place a bit of the blue cheese crumbs on top. Enjoy!
Although I think this grilled vegetable pizza doesn't need anything else, you are welcome to add grilled pieces of meat to it as well as any other vegetable that you wish.
Castello® Traditional Danish Blue is available at several local supermarkets and also major chains.